Switching windshield wiper patterns? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Switching windshield wiper patterns?

My 110 was originally RHD and the previous owner converted it to LHD. The wipers are still set up for RHD, which basically means the left top corner of the windshield doesn't get washed. I'm pretty tall, and with my Saab seats in, this obstructs my vision so I'd like to switch the wiper patterns so the it wipes on the left like it used to wipe on the right. I hope that makes sense.

I was told that this was really easy, but since I'm buying a bunch of stuff from Rovers North right now anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if I just switch the motors or something like that, or if I have to buy some new parts.

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I believe everything just mirrors on the vehicle. The motor should move to the other side and the wipers over to the correct holes. I could be worng, but I think so without looking at the parts book.

How did they manage to leave the wiper motor in the wrong place? It should interfere with the dash, I would have thought.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The wiper motor is in the same place for RHD and LHD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Oh!!!! I am waiting for the correct answer on this one.

Someone please do tell . . . .
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, apparently I have no clue. You need new cables to move the wipers to the correct spots and new wipers.

Here is the page from the parts manual.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...ver/wipers.jpg
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

just move your wheel boxes (part #19) to the other plugged holes in the bulkhead and you need to buy new wiper arms. that should be it?
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I'm looking at the photo in the background of this page, of the white Defender, and the wipers are definitely backwards to what are on my truck. From the front of the truck looking at the windshield, the ones in the photo go clockwise and to the right to wipe, and counterclockwise and back to the left to park.

Mine, if you're looking at the windscreen from the outside, go counterclockwise and to the left to wipe, and clockwise and to the right to park.

This means that the wiper motors need to wipe in the opposite direction. Mine need to go from a "counterclockwise/clockwise" motion to a "clockwise/counterclockwise" motion.

I can see that I'd need new wiper arms, but how do I switch the motors to do things backwards? Can I do this or do I need new motors?

Thanks again for everyone's input. This is a great site ... I've been a Land Rover owner for a while (Discovery) but only 8 months with the 110 leaves me with little so far to add to anyone else's questions.

- Andrew.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

the motor just goes back and forth not completely around clockwise or counter. when you buy the new arms- this will set your wipers in the right spot. and its the only thing that is right handed or left handed.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdh
the motor just goes back and forth not completely around clockwise or counter. when you buy the new arms- this will set your wipers in the right spot. and its the only thing that is right handed or left handed.
Hmm, OK. I'm not seeing this one in my head, but I can take your word for it I guess. If my motor goes "back and forth", then the NAS motor goes "forth and back". I'll see what the wiper arms go for at Rovers North and maybe pick some up and try it out.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The wiper motor is in the same place for RHD and LHD.
Yes it is. You just have to take the cover plate off and spin the plastic wheel 180deg to change the motor from RH to LH..
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Yes it is. You just have to take the cover plate off and spin the plastic wheel 180deg to change the motor from RH to LH..
Aaah, OK thanks. That was the piece I was missing.

- Andrew.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Take the cover plate off of the motor and there is a plastic wheel. THere is a stop or something on it. Once it is open, you should seee what I mean. IF not, take a pic and post it..
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Please take pictures when you do this and post a write up.

Thanks,

Ron

PS could you bend the arms to make yours work?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I had to do this when I switched motors. Once the wiper motor is apart it will become clear but it is hard to explain.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Exactly....
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I forgot to tell you that if you need the right wipers, I will sell you mine. I have the full pieces with newish wipers on them. Whatever they cost new, I will sell them at 50%.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch