Swing away tire and gas can carriers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2003, 10:42 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Swing away tire and gas can carriers

I saw this swing away tire carrier on a vehicle for sale on ebay about 7 months ago. It attaches to the receiver hitch...It would be perfect for my application...does anyone know where I can find one? I ask the person that had it for sale, but they did not know anything about it. Even if I could get a manufacture...anything would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swing_away_tire_carriera.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	50  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2003, 11:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

That unit used to be sold by British Pacific and TReK Outfitters, made by a company called Fabracor (I think was the name). Both companys stopped carrying the units due to the inconsistance from the manufacture of design, missing parts to put the units together, and horrid assembly directions. And yes, I speak from my own expreriance with a few of these units, both the hitch mount version as well as the bumper mounted version.

I have a complete, more permant mounted model as well as have all the large parts for a 2nd, reciever hitch mounted unit. It took 2 years, 3 parts bags from the manufacture, 2 trips to a welder, and still 4 trips to Home Depot to make 1 complete, full funtional unit which I would only use ever again on another long solo truck trip across country in the D90 with 2 people.

If you are looking for a hitch mounted option, you may be able to find a "complete" unit somewhere. It would take me a lot of energy to assemble the 2nd one I have into a working unit.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 21st, 2003, 01:00 AM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Oh the HORROR!!!

Listen to Chris. If you see one of these units, run far far away. I'm also speaking from personal experience.

If you want something real, have a look at the "product reviews" section of this website D90 SOURCE PRODUCT REVIEWS and have one made.
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2003, 09:14 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I wanted a Shrockworks, but neither on of the carries that they sell will work with the LR Roof rack. That seems to be my biggest problem. I want a tire carrier that carries Jerry cans and a high lift jack and will also let me keep my rack. I think that the Safari Gard my work, but what a price they want for it? I am not sure it is worth that. By the way thanks for the heads up about the tire carrier sounds like I need to steer clear!!
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:53 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes I forgot.. Art knows the horror well since he was the owner of my first unit and he had it for almost a year too trying to get it together before I got it to my place.

I must say after the hardship of actually getting it putting it together, it did its job well for our trip with the exception of the hilift holder issue.

But if you already have a roof rack then really, I would just add an expanded metal floor and store the cans and hilift up there and save myself the aggravation.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:07 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Yes Mantec carriers are pretty good, but get a saddle tamk and do away with the cans altogether. Cans on the roofrack are not a good idea. there was a VERY nasty accident when we were in Morocco the summer before last involving a discovery that rolled. Too much weight up too high and a very twisty mountain road going to Marakesh. Luckily everyone was eventually O.K. but the discovery was a write-off. the axles were torn off the chassis.
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:56 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
WVA holdings here in GB make a swing away spare wheel holder that also takes the high lift jack.
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:29 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I ran into the same issue with my SW. I wanted to be able to posses easy access to my Hi-Lift and/or Jerry Cans and accomidate a heavier wheel/tire combo, but didn't want to pay the SG price. So, I debated back and forth between purchasing the set up above and the Mantec Carrier. However, the option that drove me towards the Mantec were the location of the mounts.

On the set up in the article above both mounts are secured on right hand corner of the body with backing panneles. Conversly, the Mantec bottom mount attatches firmly to the rear crossmember on your frame while the top secures to the body. Hence, I felt more wieght could be applied to the crossmember rather than the body iteself. Needless to say, I still haven't found an effecient position to mount my Hi-Lift yet, but I have more confidence in my Mantec Carrier and it's abilities to withstand my Steel Wheel and 70-lbs 8.25 XZL spare on the back! Hope this helps out.

Regards

DJ
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Mike emailed it to me (Thanks!), I can cleaned it up, and turned it into a PDF file.

http://www.defendersource.com/misc/wva_carrier.pdf

**10/30/03 - File has been replaced with a cleaner version**

CVC

Quote:
[/size]
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:14 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

DJ, do you have your bumper installed and if so, how do you fit the Mantec onto the crossmember? I like the bumper and would like to keep it with a tire carrier.

Mike, You can resize your pics on the iMac using iPhoto (comes with the OS) or Adobe Photoshop or Elements. If I understand right, the pic can't be larger than 640x640. Use those software to just resize the image.

CVC, yours is much nicer.... haha
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:47 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Landrover chat & computer lessons.
Splendid!!!
The WVA wheel carrier bottom mount does infact mount to the chassis.
It bolts to the same log that the rear body fixes to
I can tell you that it's exceptionally strong and stood up to protracted vibration caused by corrugations on tracks in the Moroccan Sahara
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:11 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
David Marchand also has the mantec and the stocker bumper. look at the photo galleries
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:36 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Ken

Yes, you can keep the rear bumper with the Mantec Tire Carrier. The bottom mount on the Mantec Carrier merely taps into the rear cross member just above the rear bumper and below the body. Although the rear bumper has been removed, you can see the bottom mount in the picture below. While the bottom mounting tab overlaps both the body and cross member only the three bolts on the cross memeber provide a secure mounting platform. There is no contact between the bottom tab and the body. Hope this helps.

Regards

DJ
Attached Images

Old October 30th, 2003, 12:41 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Phillip

It's John Lee's rig. Go to the EE and look under his gallery. You'll find it there. I would have posted a pic of my own but I don't have any here at work.

DJ
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

need help with Mantec tire carrier

I installed a Mantec tire carrier several weeks ago on my sw. About a week ago I started to feel a bit of binding when I would open the door. Then it started to make a low moaning (ok, let me hear the jokes) noise. This past weekend we loosened up the bolts of the hinges that are mounted on the body, plus put a little oil on them. That seemed to help. That was Saturday. Today, the noise has returned. Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust this out? Thanks.
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:08 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
greese. how tight you tighten the stuff on there?
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Not all that tight. Maybe snug at first but then I loosened them up this past Saturday. I am sure grease would help initially but something just seems out of adjustment to make this kind of noise.
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:32 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i would try some greese. loosen it up get it where it feels like its smooth then tighten the bolts down pretty good. but i have no first hand experience with a mantec so what do i know??
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:39 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Rick

Listen to Phil, he knows nothing! Just kidding Phil. Mine does the same thing and it's the sliding union that bolts to your door. I'd tell you how to fix it, but I haven't tried on my own! Anyway, I'd have a look there. Let me know how it turns out.

DJ
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I sprayed some teflon lube in the nylon slider about 3 months ago, and noise went away and hasn't returned.

Also, imho, make sure that the slider does not have vertical force pressing on it, up or down. All the weight should be carried on the frame hinges. The nylon slider's position is adjustable on the carrier end -- make sure it 'floats.' My 2 c.

Doug

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, gas, rockware carrier, sg carrier, tire, tire carrier, wing