Swing away tire and gas can carriers - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2004, 02:27 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

so what did you do with the mantec? had you already received it, or did you just cancel the order? I've been eyeing a mantec myself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

was going to get a RA# to return it to British Pacific....if u want it, id have to check but i believe it cost $379....
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:50 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Rob, send me your email: dave.souza@floridalandroverclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2004, 09:30 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Jerry can storage

Guys, I have a ST with a nice swing arm spare tire carrier on the rear. I do not know who the manufacturer of this is but it is a nice one i do not wish to part with. This plays into the fact that I am trying to figure out a good way to attach a couple of Jerry cans to the vehicle. I have one i carry in the interior(Dumb....Dumb!) for now and wish to mount it and another to the vehicle in a safer manner. I can see possibly getting a roof rack and mounting them there but it seems that would be extremely high and would raise the center of gravity noticably. Not wishing to change the location of my spare I am at a loss to determine the best way to accomplish this. I am thinking I may have to change out my tire carrier to a type that will accomodate gas can mounts onto the rear but that seems costly.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Larry
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If you dont know what kind of carrier it is, post a picture and not only can we tell you, but most likely be in a better position to make some ideas for you.

In the meantime, give me a minute and I will try to find the link to another post that covered a range of aftermarket carriers.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Here we go, some of other aftermarket rear carriers

The BP/TReK Outfitter units (discontinued):
http://www.defendersource.com/trail/...s/Dsc00057.jpg

The Shrockworks ST carrier:
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/s...orks/rack.html

The Shrockworks SW carrier:
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/s...ks/racksw.html

The Safari Gard carrier (mounted on a SW):
http://www.defendersource.com/tech/carry6.jpg
http://www.defendersource.com/tech/carry7.jpg

A Rockware model (SW):
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ics2/DSC07729.jpg
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ics2/DSC02611.jpg
More detailed pictures:
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm01.jpg
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm02.jpg
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm03.jpg
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm04.jpg
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm05.jpg
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm06.jpg
and another one on a ST:
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/rw_tire/index.html

More detailed pictures of the Rockware mounted on a SW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Do any of these attach to the factory tire carrier mounting points.
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Larry,

You can go to any welding shop and have a carrier plate welded in to where you want it. I would be surprised if it was more than $15. Thats a little better than $850

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:52 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Jerry Can Storage Thoughts?

Feel free to merge this to something else, as I know it's been covered before...but I have an idea, and I'd like some feedback.

I know I need to use jerry cans for longer trips...(1) I don't really like the idea of having to hoist them on top of the rack I have...(2) I don't want them inside...and (3) I don't really want to attach them to the spare tire carrier.

So...what about this...get a trailer hitch mounted "basket" so that I can store a few cans, and maybe a cooler and some accessories, then get something like the hannibal holder to lock them down well?

I attached pics of both parts for you to consider...

And, of course, being so low(er) to the ground, I know it's not optimal for offroading...but more for longer camping trips and such...whereas the others are definitely better for offroading...

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old May 25th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Will the spare tire get in the way of ptting suff on the basket? I always thought one of those cool small trailers would be the best. When you set up camp you just unhook it and go out wheelin.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:00 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Yeah, I'd considered spare tire space in that...I guess I could go to one of the accessory stores and measure it out. I like the trailer idea...it's just the "getting there" thing with those small tires and all the twisting over slightly uneven road...
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I wouldn't buy a Home Depot trailer (kind with small wheels), I would either try and make or buy a trailer made out of the back of a pickup or better yet the Tub of a Defender. Anyway just an idea. The way that hitch looks if it was stuck in the back of my 90 the spare would take up allot of the room and mostly be in the way. Did you think about how it will be in the way when you try to open the rear gate? Not trying to shut the idea down, I just don't want to see you with something that doesn't work.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have looked at the idea of jerry cans and the spare tire holder on a ST. Each can filled weighs between 35 and 40 LBS. My concern is the total weight of the spare and a can or two will rip the carrier off the body or realy bend the carrier. I think that the best solution is to throw the spare in the back and weld up a bracker that fits the swing away tire holder. That is my next project to tackle. I will post pictures when I am done.
I welded up a basket that slides into the receiver hitch last fall. It is great for carrying oversized or dirty things around. I have not tried off-roading with it but I am sure it would get bent or torn up at some point by the trail. Also, if you have a bunch of stuff on it you can't open up the tailgate.
I would not recommend carrying gas cans on your roof rack or in the cab. I know it has been done for years but it sure does not sound that safe to me.
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Question Tire Carrier Options

Hello all, I am in the market for a new tire carrier as mine has succomb to rust. I am now loking at the different options. I would prefer to have it mount in the same holes as the original, so that takes Mantec out of the picture and I don't need one which carries jerry cans. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could find them, and which different models I should look at. Thanks - Nobrega

ps. does anyone know if the carrier DAP enterprises carries is the same as the stock model?
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:53 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Question...

Do you want it stronger than the original ?

Or does the weak design of the original and the fact that it will ruin your rear door after some time mean nothing to you ?

Any after-market unit that mounts in the same holes as the original will be just as degrading to your rear door.

Also, what kind of 'spare' are you putting on it ?

Nicholas Orros

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:58 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Merged 4 threads on this topic

Quote:
[/size]
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:47 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

Cool, didn't see that before, thanks Chris
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:04 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Here we go, some of other aftermarket rear carriers

The BP/TReK Outfitter units (discontinued):
http://www.defendersource.com/trail/...s/Dsc00057.jpg
CVC...is that your AA D90 in the picture?

DJ
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:34 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

For anyone considering the WVA carrier or bumpers make sure you request they galvanise them. I'm off to the shotblaster this morning to get my piles of junk blasted, then galvanised. The fabrication quality of WVA's kit is excellent but badly let down by the coatings in my experience. I have already had the carrier re-done once. This time I'm going for galvanised & leaving it silver. More of a retro look like the early 90/110's.

p.s. the sliders I built so no-one else to blame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	758   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	759  

Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:29 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Thanks guys for all the ideas and links to pix. I believe based on the descriptions of the original tire carrier causing issues with the tailgate that I do have an original carrrier. I am finding that though most of the weight of the spare is carried to the frame that it is still applying some pressure to it and causing the top of the tailgate to flex outwards.

Looking at some of these other options I could use them but I have the taillight guards and Safari Guard bumperettes and it appears that these would need to be removed to mount one of thes other types.

Are there any options to reinforce or mod the original carrier? I could probably mount my Jerrys on the outside of the 33" spare but this would only exacerbate the issues with the tailgate.

Anyone have any options??

Larry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, gas, rockware carrier, sg carrier, tire, tire carrier, wing