Sway bar mounting pics? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Sway bar mounting pics?

Could someone with a 110 Preferably an older one with Sway bars mounted snap some pics of how they are mounted?

thanks,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sway bars are for girls and jeeps.

If you are going to trail ride it, try and find a sway bar with the quick disconnects, so you can take it off when you are off road.

Old December 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90

If you are going to trail ride it, try and find a sway bar with the quick disconnects, so you can take it off when you are off road.
Oh yeah Quick disconnects are definitely going to be done, absolutely. Alas the American west is a very big place and to get between wheeling spot I am going to have to spend large amounts of time on road so Sways or Anti roll bars as the Britts are calling them are going to help.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90

Huh,

So am I a Girl, or do a drive a Jeep? Or maybe I never drive offroad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swaybar.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	24007  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've got a 4" lift and 33s on my early 110, and I sure wish I had sway bars for the road. I look forward to pics as well. I must be a girl, or my Landy is gay.

Semper Fi!
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
you don't need all that lift. 33's ought to fit with liitle to no lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
I've got a 4" lift and 33s on my early 110, and I sure wish I had sway bars for the road. I look forward to pics as well. I must be a girl, or my Landy is gay.
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Huh,

So am I a Girl, or do a drive a Jeep? Or maybe I never drive offroad.
Easy there.... Clearly, I was just pushing his buttons. Although, I do not run mine on either of my 90's. But, I am also not running a 110 with a full NAS cage.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
You did say your truck was gay...

Old December 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I don't think my 97 has front brackets for sway bar mounts. The rear does.. Same as a 90.

The front factory sway will rub on your driveshaft if you droop more than 2"

IMPO find a better way if you need one...

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:24 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY
Oh yeah Quick disconnects are definitely going to be done, absolutely. Alas the American west is a very big place and to get between wheeling spot I am going to have to spend large amounts of time on road so Sways or Anti roll bars as the Britts are calling them are going to help.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Hey,

PM me or call Pat to talk to Aaron about my (his) swaybar. Believe it or not the sway bar built in the pic above was built using toyota parts. You can get one or two at a very good price. No disconnects and you get the benefits offroad which is where they really kick butt. Only for girls or Jeeps though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
you don't need all that lift. 33's ought to fit with liitle to no lift.
Of course not, but my truck came with the lift, so why take it off.

Semper Fi!
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
instability requiring the addition of otherwise unnecessary hardware? complications caused by caster angle, driveshaft angles, etc? All of this while running a stock-ish tire size offering little to no improvement in axle to ground clearance.

Hey...to each their own. but I would get an angle finder and look at where your caster angle is, that may be the real reason you are looking for sway bars. Peter Lesbo too.

Quote:
Of course not, but my truck came with the lift, so why take it off.
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
instability requiring the addition of otherwise unnecessary hardware? complications caused by caster angle, driveshaft angles, etc? All of this while running a stock-ish tire size offering little to no improvement in axle to ground clearance.

Hey...to each their own. but I would get an angle finder and look at where your caster angle is, that may be the real reason you are looking for sway bars. Peter Lesbo too.
?? Needing sway bars has nothing to do with caster angle.

There is no need to debate the need for sway bars, we have done this before. It's up to the individual. I prefer sway bars on the road.....

Semper Fi!
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
I'm not trying to debate the merits of a particular part. I was just answering your question. It's not as much of a stretch as you make it out to be. If you are looking for equipment to help with handling then there is obviously some issue. Caster plays a large role in how a vehicle handles. Do you know where yours is, or care? I hope you do with a 4" lift on and your family inside.

Quote:
?? Needing sway bars has nothing to do with caster angle.

There is no need to debate the need for sway bars, we have done this before. It's up to the individual. I prefer sway bars on the road.....
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:33 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Hey,

PM me or call Pat to talk to Aaron about my (his) swaybar. Believe it or not the sway bar built in the pic above was built using Toyota parts. You can get one or two at a very good price. No disconnects and you get the benefits offroad which is where they really kick butt. Only for girls or Jeeps though.
I will try and get a hold of you cats this weekend. Pat, I am sure will be sleeping off a swim (literally) in Guinness.

Quote:

Where would one acquire said angle finder? Or would an alignment shop be able to diagnose what my current caster angle is?

Part of my trouble is the now uneven nature of my vehicle. With the addition of the cage and the different spring rates front to back, I have about 1.5 inches of lift in the rear and just at 3 in the front. That is going to be addressed and springs are on the way. There is however still a significant amount of body roll. The suspension is a system and coming from a background in Porsche track cars and what I know of suspension systems, Sway bars should help. The quick disconnects will also provide for the best of both worlds. give her better road manners and then let he loose in the hills.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY
Where would one acquire said angle finder? Or would an alignment shop be able to diagnose what my current caster angle is?
Home Depot has them. I would think an alignment shop should be able to tell though I've never asked. 2" lift should be sufficient to clear 33" tires.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:

Can you please tell us very specifically how caster angle change from a lift can cause instability that a sway bar would fix? Then can you tell us how a suspension that does not have a castor problem would not benefit from a sway bar?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Can you please tell us very specifically how caster angle change from a lift can cause instability that a sway bar would fix? Then can you tell us how a suspension that does not have a castor problem would not benefit from a sway bar?
Hey Dave

I never meant to imply either of those things. I do think that incorrect caster can cause twitchiness and oversteer that might be confused with body roll-related symptoms in certain situations. I also think that 3 inch and over lifts should include some type of caster correction and to ignore that is potentially dangerous.

So, just for the record, I am absolutely in favor of anyone who wants to do so, installing a sway bar on any vehicle. I also encourage a check of steering geometry on modified suspensions. Sorry if I came off as being anti-anti-sway bars.

Also...Dave...you are the suspension guru...I bow to your knowledge on the subject!

Cheers
Dave
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Hey Dave

I never meant to imply either of those things. I do think that incorrect caster can cause twitchiness and oversteer that might be confused with body roll-related symptoms in certain situations. I also think that 3 inch and over lifts should include some type of caster correction and to ignore that is potentially dangerous.

So, just for the record, I am absolutely in favor of anyone who wants to do so, installing a sway bar on any vehicle. I also encourage a check of steering geometry on modified suspensions. Sorry if I came off as being anti-anti-sway bars.

Also...Dave...you are the suspension guru...I bow to your knowledge on the subject!

Cheers
Dave
Thanks. I misunderstood what you were saying. I see your point. I am a big fan of swaybars, but like most things, they have to be built right, and are usually not. I have come full circle and used to think they were not that important. I was really wrong.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Ok I have found a good fabricator locally, I have a Front Sway-bar and the required Mounting Hardware. Now all I need is a photo of what the Front Sway-bar Mounting Points look like and their approximate locations, Frame and Axle. This guy can make em and weld em on, so could someone with camera take some quick pics and post em up?

Thanks in advance,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount