sway bar ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 30th, 2004, 04:49 PM
redrover

sway bar ideas

Has anyone installed a currie antirock swaybar on their truck? I have a 3link, and am looking for some ideas to improve my road handling a little without sacrificing to much offroad. Has anyone switched from ome764s in front to a stiffer coil and liked the ride better? JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2004, 05:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
JP, I've been talking about this for a while. Had a few conversations with Keith at Rovertracks about it. I'd love to do the same.
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Here's an idea

Get rid of the 3 link and all your sway bars. The antirock is nothing more than a less binding sway bar. You will still lose offroad ability. Then switch the crazy location of the rear shocks for less body roll.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2004, 08:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have seen it on quite a few trucks, some competition trucks why? Why get rid of the 3link?
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You see the antirock on comp trucks with soft coilovers and suspension breakover angles that are too severe. They are basically a bandaid for a suspension system that is not dialed in. The 3 link in this situation is the cause of the funny feeling when the truck corners. There is no torsional stability. I get flack for this but there are details on the three link that are just a little less than desirable. Plus, usually the problem is in part caused by the spring, shock, and bushing combination as well as the 3 link. This is the same reason why you almost always see sway bar disconnects on TJ's, or the sway bar on permenately, because there suspensions suck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:13 PM
redrover

Dave, I have no complaints after almost 2 yrs with 3 link system. I drive my truck on tough trails weekly and like it. The problem I have is the fact that I drive a SW. The truck is very top heavy. If I keep the top on , I need a way to reduce the body roll . I have excepted these short coming on trail[although undesirable] but need to make it a little safer on the road. On the road with my way out of spec camber , big tires, and overall loose steering geom- it is a two handed drive issue. If i had to miss anything on the road at speed, I would be done. I am not trying to make it handle like a BMW, just help it a little. I have considered fabing in a tube in front so I could run a sway system designed for TJ. But with my external fr shocks and the fr lf steering support bracket in the way, there just isnt any room.
That is why I wondered if anyone had better luck running a stiffer coil to help control roll. Mine are 764s.
I might be pulling the top for good and welding my own full cage to shave a few pounds this winter.
Rock on JP
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:36 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I may be interested in your headliner if you get rid of the SW setup.
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

Like I mentioned, I always get flack for not giving glowing reports of the 3 link but most of your issue is with that. The SW does add weight to the top, but not enough to really effect the way it drives that much. Stiffer springs would help, but a lot of things would need to be tweaked just a bit. I would recommend that you fab up a disconnect for the stock sway bar. The antirock really doesn't do anthing but make it a little better on the road and a little worse on the trail. But, if the suspension was dialed in, hard to do sometimes, no sway bars would be needed at all.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:39 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I'm about to install the new Koni Heavy Track shocks. Three position adjustable. I''ve been thinking about this issue for a while, and I believe the only solution is to have something adjustable. Stiffer springs means less articulation. Same with sway bars, unless with disconnects. So for the road, I'll run the Koni's stiff, and off road run 'em soft. I'll let you know how it works out....

DW
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:40 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Stiffer springs do help but you will loose down travel if you are running retainers. However, if you run cons and limiting straps or SG droop kit on all four corners then you should be fine. 751/762 is the springs I'm talking about.
Anti-rock is another option and I figured out a way to make it work up front. I've seen few anti-rocks in action. However, some people with Jeeps (Light duty sway bar as they call it) seems to hate it since it didn't help much on the road and for some reason it limited travel off road. I've seen one on a 110 and the owner said that it really reduced body roll and he was still able to pull all travel in the back where the anti-rock was installed.
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM
redrover

Thanks fot the replies guys. Last night I spent four hours reading posts on the pirate board. It is incredible the amount of misinformation out there. Remember Iraqs Minister of mis information? Well everyone has the facts straight in there own mind --But the facts dont seem to correlate. Anyway I looked at all the comp coverage photos from numerous events nationwide. And it was surprising how many buggies/moon rovers were running rear antirock or equiv. Someone posted that it is benificial on any rear fourlink for climbing. Anyway it was common knowledge that you need to have your ROLL CENTER close to your CENTER OF GRAVITY. WEll that sounds fancy and all that, But I drive a rover, not a tube buggy. I then read everything related to antirock in the jeep section. It seemed all disbelievers who tried it were converters. And everyone else just talked shit about them. Many of the folks stated that although the antirock reduced travel a very very small amount, the increase in roll stability was more than worth it. It seems to me that there needs to be some balance of swaystability and travel. I have a very high amount of travel. Yousef, I dont have the coilover in the rear but I know I ramp close to yours. I also remember your comments after you added a hard top. You said Quote "it scared the CR_P out of me in off camber sections so I converted back".
I think I am going to fab in a S/T disconnect in the front for highway use. And experiment with a rear trail swaybar similar to the antirock, but with multi options on bar dia. and link lenghts. I bet the rear travel will not be compromised as much as everyone thinks.

Rock on JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions