Sway Bar Disconnet in Custom Mods - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Sway Bar Disconnet in Custom Mods

Hope this finds everyone enjoying the holidays and a little wrench time to get ready for spring. I have a question regarding a submittion in the custom mods section. Alan Foster posted a great helpful way to cut costs and create quick disconnets under a d-90. I have actually followed his advise and competed the rear sway bar. The front however is started to have me scratch my head. It seams that the passenger side sway bar connection is in a very tight place considering the location of diff. I looked at it yesterday and gave up before even trying as I fear there is not enough room to make this work as it is supposed to. Anyone have any experience with this?

I know most of you would say remove the sway bars all together but my truck is in Dallas, and sees off road time about one day a year as my kids are to young to go with me. I am still just a little concerned about removing them just yet.

Thanks
RickM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Honestly.... you`ll be 110% OK if you remove the front one. If anything, you can remove it, give it a spin, and if you notice any difference in handling (which you wont) you can always throw it back on there without issue. I obviously understand your concerns, but we all wouldn`t be so adamant about taking them off if it werent for the fact that they really are pretty useless, especially if you arn`t running much in the way of lift
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:06 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

there are none on mine and I have had no problems in 9 years, they were never fitted to the UK spec model I have anyway, they were an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
With a lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Honestly.... you`ll be 110% OK if you remove the front one. I obviously understand your concerns, but we all wouldn`t be so adamant about taking them off if it werent for the fact that they really are pretty useless, especially if you arn`t running much in the way of lift
Does your advice apply to someone with 2.5 inch OME lift springs installed? I also think spring retainers may be in order if you are removing the sway bars.
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

With an OME swap I would do something to keep them from unseating. I have no sways and an OME I put cones in for future lifts and have had need of them with the OMEs on. Mine is my only vehicle and as long as you don't whip around corners you'll be fine without sway bars.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:35 AM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I have OME springs with no swaybars and have had no problems with the springs dislocating and the ride is fine. You are welcome to come take my truck for a test spin if you do not want to remove your swaybar to test.

Brian
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks guys. I agree with the idea of removing them and giving it a go to see what happens. I will do so over the holidays and see how it goes. I appreciate all the input.
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

See threads about heavy duty rear sway bar...
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
Does your advice apply to someone with 2.5 inch OME lift springs installed? I also think spring retainers may be in order if you are removing the sway bars.

I was running a 3" lift with cones and no sway bars, and am now running a 2.5" lift with spring retainers, front straps and no sway bars. The 3" with cones was a tiny bit wobbly, but as Tyler said, so long as you arn`t whippin it around corners like a Porsche, you should be alright. The 2.5" with retainers feels a bit more stable at speeds, but then again I am not sure if that really has anything to do with the .5" difference (I doubt it) or the retainers (maybe? I noticed there was room for the springs to play side to side when I had the cones in) or if it is due to my going to a stiffer spring. Either way, all I can recommend is giving it a shot without the sways. If anything, they are super easy to take on/ off, so no matter the set up, why not give it a try? Also, even if you do feel the slightest of difference (which you probably wont with stock set up, but maybe a little bit with 2.5" lift), you can adapt your driving accordingly.

From what I understand only the NAS trucks got the sway bars from the factory, and there really is reason as for why they never got them anywhere else in the world. They are pretty much dead weight.

To get back to the original question though, for what it`s worth and which I realize that I never really addressed.... no clue on quick disconnects for the front, sorry.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
disco, mod