Swapping out a bad lifter? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

Swapping out a bad lifter?

If you had a V8 with 107K on it, and a lifter that refused to pump up, but the cam lobe looked ok, would you swap out the whole camshaft and all the lifters regardless due to the 107K miles?

And whilst i'm about it, the headgaskets look to be the originals. Had a pressure test done and the cooling system checks out fine, so given how far the motor would be apart, would you then just pull the heads regardless? I guess the liners could be inspected as well?

And what of the timing chain / gears? I guess it makes sense to do the lot wouldn't you agree?

This is in the '03 discovery I snagged from someone on here recently BTW. I know there are a lot of very savvy folks in here who know the V8 inside and out, so hoping you can provide some honest advice.

I will be getting into the motor real soon so I'll know the true state of things; but just looking for soem insight in the meantime!

Cheers,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would bet you it needs a new oil pump, not just a lifter. Lots of talk about 2003 disco IIs and this issue.

Ron
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Need to confirm oil pressure. And need to confirm oil pressure is getting to said lifter, before just changing parts in my experience.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

Oil pressure is within specs for the engine. 13psi at idle (warm) and the 40-odd psi (bad memory) that the book says at 2000 rpm...

Good point on checking oil at the lifter - so after pulling the current lifters out, spinning the engine o the starter and looking for oil out of the lifter bores is key...

I understand the '03 issue and after seeing how inexpensive gaskets are, I've pretty muich decided to drop the pan and pull the pump to be sure.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Plus that one is in the VIN range for the service action.
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Are you sure it is a lifter that is bad? There is always some ticking when you start up a Disco engine, and at that mileage it could be bad rocker arms/shafts. Those are more common than bad lifters in my experience.
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

I'll know for sure once I get into the motor in a few days....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions