swapping heads between 4.0's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

swapping heads between 4.0's

Can you readily fit 00 D2 4.0 heads on a 97 D90? Direct swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yes. You may have to plug that extra holes for the (I believe it is called) SAI (Secondary Air Injection) system which are the extra holes kind of by the spark plugs holes. If your 97 does not have this system (I don't recall whether or not the 97 has this) then just plug the holes. If it does have this system, then just hook it up. All other things are the same. I am running heads with this system on 94 D90 with them plugged, no issues. Other than the SAI, they are identicle.
Old July 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Thanks Chris. May have to do a head gasket on the 90. Picked up a D2 motor for the block but may now need the head(s) first.

As long as we're on it...how much of this motor can be swapped over? I still want to use GEMS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Basically, all of it. Some of the accessories such as alternator may have to have a hole drilled and tapped to accept it but most the time they already have it drilled and tapped. If they have not been, the blank is there to accept it. I think there is a sensor in the block for the flywheel for gems, but not sure. Basically, it is a straight swap over as far as the block is concerned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions