swappable V8 ancillary parts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

swappable V8 ancillary parts

The Wifes '85 110 3.5 V8 is going through way too much oil (a quart every 200 or so miles). I may make my life simple buy swapping the engine out for a bone yard disco or Rangie's . I just cant remember what ancillary parts are swappable within the 3.5 - 4.6 line. It would also nice to have a little more displacement and power for the mountains of VT. Right now it is carburated with a single Edebrock carb and intake manifold. Not sure if there is going to be any fuel economy or power benefit from an old 3.9 EFI set up and bolt that onto a 4.2 or 4.6 bone yard block ? any input would be greatly appreciated. The last time I swapped a 4.6 into my 101 I was able to reuse the oil pump front cover and water pump, would I have been better off with a more modern oil pump and water pump ? Don't know . Just before I start searching the local bone yards I want to make sure I'm putting together a a simple easy combination that will work ( without spending a ton of cash) { th
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

The 3.5 and 3.9 ancillaries are the same I believe. Your fuel economy should be better with the megasquirt ECU system. Technically the ECU is suppost to manager the correct amount of air/fuel mix but it is also an old thirsty V8 so you won't see a huge increase in economy as opposed to the carbs.

I have come across some of the ancillaries having different v-belts and pulleys but you can swap them easy. I know my 91 RRC had a different alternator pulley and v-belt than my 94 Defender... but again, these are old trucks that could have had a pervious owner swap them to something else.

Basically the ancillaries on a v-belt driven (non-serp) are different on a serpentine belt driven engine.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Don't know if you have smog check, but if you have a catalytic, I'd bet it's shot from all the oil usage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The heads are different. IIRC you can put old ancillaries on new heads, but I could be wrong. A pre EFI rover V8 is not all that common. If it were me, I would get a 4.6 short block, rebuild the existing heads you have, get a spacer for the crank (later engines with serp have a longer crank), and bolt it all back together the way it was with the 1985 ancillaries.

If you want to swap to full EFI, you need the harness, a new fuel tank with lines and pump etc. and then you need to make it work in the 110.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
As Evil suggested, the ancillaries of the serpentine belt 3.9. 4.0 and 4.6 engine are very different from the multy belt 3.9 and 3.5 set up... that being said you can transfer the parts from one engine to another with minor mods.
you can keep your carb set up and move it onto the 4.6, the front cover and oil pan move onto the new engine.
the dowel pin at the rear of the crank gets removed in order to fir the older flex plate. you reuse or obtain a cam from a 4.2 or 3.9 (in sure your 3.5 is wiped).
if you want the newer crank driven oil pump, you will have to swap over to the serpentine set up,, this entwines the use of disco 1 3.9 or range 4.2 set up of course the frnt cover... you will need the power steering pump, the water pump, the alternator, tensioner, a/c compressor and harmonic balancer. your best bet would be to visit a junk yard and get all ofthe fore mentioned plus all the aluminum brakets and bolts for it.
the lternator would have to come from a 96 to 99 range 4.6 gems engine due to the pulley, anything else will make your rpms read about 300 or so off. the harmonic balancer thus need a spacer as the crnk on a 4.0, 4.6 is longer by about an inch.
if the 4.6 has secondary air all you need to do is plug the ports.
I have performed this conversion on my 87 rangie and two more others as well as 4.6 custom upgrade on my 95 lwb.. the first time you perform it it is overwhelming then as it goes along you realize it is simple.
rpi engeneering has a nice write up on this conversion, give it a skim and figure which way you want to go including a fuel injection conversion...
you are welcome to pm me if you have q's
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

anyone know any machine shops uses cylinder liners like these when re-machining ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine sleave.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	47756  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part, parts, v8