Swap Bar Quick Release - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2006, 09:24 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Swap Bar Quick Release

Anyone running quick releases on thier rear sway bars? If so, how effective are they and where did you get'em?

I'm going to relocate my rear shock mounts and run OME's longest rear shock to get some much needed flex, but i'm not willing to do away with my sway bars for the other 90% of the time that the vehicle is in use.

I think Disco's have these aftermarket mod's available, but i've not seen anything yet for the D's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I was running them and then I just took off the sway bar all together. They make no difference at all off as far as I can tell. Cavaet being I am still running stock tires as any lift would make my life impossible in the city of CHicago and Parking structures.

Longer shocks? I'd consider retaining your springs as well. Or get a rear drop shock kit. EE makes a nice one as do others. Saves you money on shocks at least.

EwS
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:25 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. I'm running 33's and 3" without sway bars - front and rear. Daily driver with NO problems. Do a search.

2. Sway bars are only fitted in the US. With the vast majority of D90's sold elsewhere do you really think they're needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Clay, try disconnecting the rear bar and drive it around for a week, if you don't think you need it then toss it then try the same for the front. It's all driver preference, Currently one of my front shocks is off for repairs, and I don't think it handles all that bad without it (no sways, 4" lift 35s, soft springs) but I do notice a big difference. I know someone makes disconnects for 90s, I thought I saw them on someones 90 once, but I am not sure.

As far as longer shocks, I say go for it! I see way to many 90s on the trail with stock setups in the rear and they look like they have almost no travel.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

i have a three inch lift on a top heavier hardtop, with a rack that i load with gear and oversize tires. I can only tell they are not there (the sway bars) when i am off road. they make no difference at all. silly. they are only on defenders that went to the u-s because we are such a litigious society.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Disconnects on this site

There is a link I believe in Custom Mods for a quick cotter pin disconnect that I am currently running in the rear of my truck. I like his idea and it was only $50. I realize having the sway bars is probably stupid, however I drive my truck about 99% of the time in Dallas with an 18 month old in the back. I also have a detroit locker that makes the rear end feel a bit loose at times at high speeds. I did not want to risk it myself.

RickM
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I drove for 2 years with no sway bar. Then I fitted a Scorpion HD bar with quick disconnects. The change was like going from a farm tractor to a Ferrari. The stock bar is worthless -- it's like dental floss compared to the HD bar.

Quick disconnects that work on Defenders: http://www.aedofab.com/prod_rover/disconnects.htm
These fit Defenders and Discos. If you have a lift, you also want to match the lift with spacers where the bar meets the frame. 2" lift = 2" spacers.

Disconnects are quick and easy to use, unless you fill them with mud when disconnected. In this case, a couple of minutes to clean them out and they should slip right in.

Doug W.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:24 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
IF any of you are looking for new front swivel ball Joints, I have 2 brand new ones. Let me know. these aer the ball joint things that attach to the axle...
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Thanks Fellas.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:01 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I drove for 2 years with no sway bar. Then I fitted a Scorpion HD bar with quick disconnects. The change was like going from a farm tractor to a Ferrari. The stock bar is worthless -- it's like dental floss compared to the HD bar.
Hey Doug, I'm looking at the Scorpion bars too. You do front and rear? 4x4ag carries Scorpion, but doesn't list the bars. Did you get them there? Mind if I ask what they cost?

Thanks!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Chance,
Just got my 28MM rear Scorpion Sway Bar installed yesterday. Could not make the Quick Dis-Connects work, so I put the bolts back in. A huge difference it makes!
I will post Pics after the weekend.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Just the rear, no front? Nice! You get it at 4x4ag? What'd it cost 'ya?

Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Did you get the disconnects from http://www.aedofab.com/prod_rover/disconnects.htm? Call them and have them walk you through. I had to ream out the bar a bit to get mine to work, but go easy on that since the tolerance needs to be tight!!!!!

Doug W.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Just the rear, have not thought about the front as of yet. The 110 only came with the rear sway, I think. Got it from 4x4ag, it took a while because of customs..... Around 350.00 with the orange bushings. It was a little less than usual because it came unfinished (no powdercoat) so I did three coats of POR 15 and two flat black to protect from rust. I will have to try again on the ABCO quick disconnects, when I tried to make them work with the black bushings they came with and a flaired pipe in the center, the did not seat well enought to get the washer and clip back on.

Follow-up Post:

Doug, did you use the flaired pipe and the black rubber bushings that came with the disconnects or the orange polybush?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Thanks for the info Steve! It's definitely on my list of purchases. After the rear disc conversion, and power steering box, and...

Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Yes, but it's really a tight fit. I used a c-clamp to press fit. I think the Scorpion bar is a tad wider than stock, that's why it's tight. I also replaced the cotter pin with a big beefy clip (the same as the other side that comes in the kit), just for my own assurance that the cotter pin would not slip through. Come to think of it, I also opted for thinner washers to make up for what I think is the extra width of the Scorpion bar.

DW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions