SW rear headliner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
SW rear headliner

The rear headliner has always sagged just above the alpine windows since I bought the truck. I was thinking about taking it out and having it replaced. I read through other threads and they seem to indicate that I need to remove the roll cage to get the bar between the front and back out to get the liner out.

Do I really need to go through all that? I realize it is just nuts and bolts but seems like a good amount of time to get that done and if I do that, I might as well have it all powder coated again.

will an upholsterer redo the whole thing new or do they try to recover the old one? If I do have to take the cage out, should I just do the front and rear liners? probably I guess...

thanks,
Bill
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

Hi Bill, Did you ever fix the headliner on the SW? I'm outside now trying to fix the same sag on my headliner and everything is apart except the rollcage. It looks like the rollcage is gonna have to be moved unless you were able to bend the headliner past without damage. I jumped into this project today thinking it was going to be easy!

Ryan Q
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
anyone thought about spraying an epoxy glue or hardener (fiberglass) to get the headliner strength?
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Bending the headliner is a non issue. Pull it out, get it recovered and put it back in. The back section you literally bend to get in and out. Even when it is recovered you wont hurt it doing this.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:03 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Bending the headliner is a non issue. Pull it out, get it recovered and put it back in. The back section you literally bend to get in and out. Even when it is recovered you wont hurt it doing this.
You are right it almost has to be bent in two to get it out of the back door. I did loosen the rollcage hoop so I could push it forward to get some more room while pulling it down. It all worked out, just alittle more work than expected.

Thanks,

Ryan Q
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

mine is sprayed with Linux in a light gray looks factory..
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ron

Post a pic. I am sure people would like to see how it came out.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
FortyTwo
Chris
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Ron

Post a pic. I am sure people would like to see how it came out.
+1

Thinking of doing the same. Front headliner is dropping down around sunroof.
Old April 16th, 2011, 12:17 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Doing the headliner in the 110 was a bitch as it is three pieces and so many pins. Not to mention I added two extra interior lights so I had to make the appropriate cuts and add wiring. In a 90 though since it has the lights already and it is only two pieces (three if you count the trip over the door that should be done at the same time) I would personally stick with getting it recovered in fabric. Any upholstery shop should be able to do it and most modern fabrics are very nice and should last longer than the nas crap. I went with something similar to what is in an lr3. Came out great. You need all new pins to install it as well.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Has anyone been able to get the existing cover reglued? Mine is sagging a bit but otherwise in good shape.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Unless it is really minor I don't think it will work.
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I had mine recovered last fall and re-installed it a couple of weeks ago. I thought there would be a way for a gentle install but there isn't. Its a mix of finessing and man-handling the thing. If you have rear seats they will probably have to come out. The front part of the rear headliner that slips between roll cage (if its an NAS) and front headliner needs to go in first or you'll never get it in.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
mine is sprayed with Linux in a light gray looks factory..

Kinda like penguin fur?

Open Source to the rescue!
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I got my headliners redone like Barry and they turned out really nice. Much better than the original material. Mine is also very similar to the LR3 material. Best part is that it doesn't look like cheap vinyl but like a normal car. Wasn't expensive at all if you get the pieces out and take them to a shop. Its an easy job for them if all they have to do is recover and not re-install. I took out the roll cage to get the back one out of my SW. You do have to bend it to get it in and out but as Barry said, it doesn't hurt it at all.
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
I got my headliners redone like Barry and they turned out really nice. Much better than the original material. Mine is also very similar to the LR3 material. Best part is that it doesn't look like cheap vinyl but like a normal car. Wasn't expensive at all if you get the pieces out and take them to a shop. Its an easy job for them if all they have to do is recover and not re-install. I took out the roll cage to get the back one out of my SW. You do have to bend it to get it in and out but as Barry said, it doesn't hurt it at all.
What color did you go with? A light grey or a light beige like the LR3 in tis picture. Or something completly
different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2201214250043791304S425x425Q85.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	37994  
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

For mine, I took the sun visor with me and tried to find a fabric as close as possible.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I went with graphite (dark grey). White headliners don't age well IMO and this color matches the my black door skins and black seats nicely.
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

I went to a local shop today and looked at fabric samples and ordered "Opal grey" I think the color# was 2119 with 1/8th inch foam backing. I will post some pics once I am finally all done with the install.

Ryan
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

bump...

Would love to see... I'm having similar issues, yet mine is sagging all over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	212.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	38054  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
The front part of the rear headliner that slips between roll cage (if its an NAS) and front headliner needs to go in first or you'll never get it in.
how true is this statement? i just re- installed my rear headliner and am finding it's not easy to tuck the front under the rear part. however, i'm trying to do it solo...

i'm hoping if i find a helping hand, i can do it without removing the rear liner again, as i already put the side windows back in etc...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions