sw rear door? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM
erik d
erik drayson

sw rear door?

Just wondering if a wolf wheel and a 255/85 is to much weight for the stock tire carrier "SW" . I plan on using a mantec after december but cash rules now. Any help would be grand thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

You're better off waiting for the Mantec. Your OEM spare carrier on your SW is probably already on borrowed time.

DJ
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:53 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Greetings.

I agree with DJ, wait for the Mantec...

But, when I purchased my 90 about 2.5 yrs ago, it had a 255/85 (BFG MT 'old style') on the original SW door... It was fine, but once you hit around 65+ it will start to rattle, or vibrate heavily. I got tired of it, plus I needed something that I could stand on when fiddling with the tent/washing the roof, so I opted for the Mantec. There's not too many options for an SW with the 'factory safari rack' (I don't know if you've got the rack)...

DJ told me that it was worth it... and indeed it was.

Better to be safe than sorry... because the tire won't do anything to the original SW carrier because there's really not much to it, but it will bend the door... trust me, I've seen it.

Luckily not on mine.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2004, 04:54 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Will that Mantec tire carrier fit on an ST? My carrier is wobbly-rattly as well. And I do have the safari rack, so another place to stand would be great

Also, where is a good place to buy Mantec in the US? Some quick Googles didn't net me anything that jumps out.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I just don't get this. I have been running a 37in tire on my SW rear door for over a year. I have jumped the truck, pounded on it, all that, but no issues. I just occasionally tighten down the bolts. I think you all must be right, but it just doesn't happen to me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:08 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I didn't have any trouble with my 33X12.5 MTR as long as you don't mind the constant rackle that the weight of the tire caused as it loosened the hinges. It was so annoying that I broke down and got a Shrockworks rear tire carrier. I went with Shrockworks because Mantec was back ordered and I couldn't take any more rattling. Yes you can tighten the hinges but after awhile that doesn't work any longer. Good Luck
Old October 9th, 2004, 02:58 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I just don't get this. I have been running a 37in tire on my SW rear door for over a year. I have jumped the truck, pounded on it, all that, but no issues. I just occasionally tighten down the bolts. I think you all must be right, but it just doesn't happen to me.
Give it time Dave. The thing to really watch for are the welds on the inside of the door. Mine snapped like twigs once I put a heavier tire on. that is, before I installed the Mantec. By the way, is the carrier on the "Yellow-Hornet" the original or did you replace it with new OEM carrier?

DJ
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I bought one of the 3 prong ones that bolt through the 3 holes in the rear door. It was $50 from RDS. To be hones, looking at the whole setup, it seems to be defying the laws of physics with how rigid it is.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:45 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
Will that Mantec tire carrier fit on an ST? My carrier is wobbly-rattly as well. And I do have the safari rack, so another place to stand would be great

Also, where is a good place to buy Mantec in the US? Some quick Googles didn't net me anything that jumps out.
Jason

I don't see any reason why it shouldn’t mount to a Soft-Top. However, I've never actually heard, or seen for that matter, a Mantec Carrier on a Soft-Top. The Safari Rack shouldn’t be a problem as the mounting sites for the carrier are to the immediate right of the rear door.

Anyway, here's where I purchased my Mantec Carrier. The people at Stable-Energies are really nice and provide great customer service. I purchased mine for about $360 including shipping to Portland Oregon; it appears the price has since escalated to $399. No doubt due to the awful exchange rate.

The price seems to correlate well with other companies who sell their equipment. Since you’re in California you might check out British Pacific (P/N: GMN050), Rover Accessories, & possibly Pangaea Expeditions. Personally, I'd start with British Pacific. Fantastic customer service and they typically have better pricing. You might consider giving Nathan Hindman of Pangaea Expeditions a call too.

Hope this helps out.

DJ

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I bought one of the 3 prong ones that bolt through the 3 holes in the rear door. It was $50 from RDS. To be hones, looking at the whole setup, it seems to be defying the laws of physics with how rigid it is.

Ahh, so it is brand new. I'd keep a close eye on it Dave, especially since it sounds like you pound on that thing. Personally, I think that OEM carrier is a peice of crap. I hated mine. Even with a standard road tire that device will cause more damage then prevent.

The Mantec is nice set-up simply becasue all the wieght of the tire/wheel is displaced onto the rear cross-member and not the hinges of the rear door.
Old October 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I am having a new one made for me next week so I should be fine. It did hold up pretty well for what it was though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, rear door