SW inner door steel cracking & repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
SW inner door steel cracking & repair

My SW is very tight, so tight that when I close the doors, if the windows are all closed, I must pull the door real hard. This has obviously lead to my inner door flexing & completely separating just to the inside edge of the lock button actuator. (see picture) I knew I could weld it, since it's steel, but I realized that without some addition "strengthener" it would again crack just beside the weld. Even the passenger door is cracked in the same place but not thoroughly separated is the driver door is.

I decided on a piece of 1/2" steel angle that I have had & to bolt it in several places along it's length to secure it & strengthen the pull. I will weld up the crack before reassembly too. The door card will has to be slightly modified on the ends to accommodate the angle rod also. It is important to tie the angle to the ends of the door frame, I used press nuts on the ends to secure the angle to the frame.

If when you pull on your door handle & you observe "flex" in the door card panel, more than likely your is cracked or even broken. The door lock guides that screw (2 screws) onto the door itself are probably busted too, as the angle of the locking rod causes their flimsy construction to break (new ones on the way & will be re-enforced with JB Weld before installed).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	98844   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	98845  

Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	98846  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, door, rack