SW door card re-trim - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 1st, 2015, 06:17 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

SW door card re-trim

First fail of the new year..the Defender 50th is going black, as is the interior. The original door cards are grey and a little ratty, and I do not really like the plastic aftermarket ones. So I cleaned them up, repaired where necessary and bought some heavy textured black vinyl. I tested 3 types of spray glue and all failed so defaulted to the old school yellow contact adhesive. I cleaned off the cards with thinner before starting.
The first half went well, doing it in sections, and in the more extreme shape changing areas, used the heat gun to stretch the vinyl. In these sections I worked the grooves and recesses a bit less dry than normal, and laid the vinyl in rather than purely stretching. Despite the thick vinyl, bumps in the glue layers are visible but manageable.
On the second half I tried to work quicker, and hoping that the heat gun and stretch alone would allow the vinyl to form after the larger flat sections were bonded in place. Wrong!
Although the vinyl can be made to stretch, the bond of the adhesive to the old grey vinyl is not that great and after contact it pulls away.
Back to the drawing board..ideas?

Cheers, tim...and Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2015, 06:30 AM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I have done a few interior retrims on some other restorations I have done. I have always used spray adhesive. I like 3M Super 77 from a rattle can. Sticks like crazy, so you only get one chance to lay the material. It solves the lump problem and covers even in the small detail areas.

As you mentioned, you need to ensure the cards are clean and apply to both surfaces. Nothing will stick to Armor All. So clean them well with denatured alcohol and I would also scuff the surface with a scotch bright or sandpaper.

Good luck!
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:03 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Hi, and thanks, I will give it another go this weekend. Do you do this bit by bit or all in one go?
Cheers, tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:17 AM
Clarky199
Louis
1989 defender 110 hard top

I recently did the same sort of thing to my 110. I made a fibreglass mould of my existing door cards first then layered carbon fibre over the top and let it cure.
After it had gone off I covered it with leather I'd brought off eBay.
Same thing you had though, I struggled to make to stick, in the end I got some of that windscreen glue, the horrible black stuff that seals it all in.
Well what a bit of kit that turned out to be!!!!
It's SERIOUSLY sticky but flexible at the same time. It's is applied with a mastic gun but I then spread it about with a putty knife.
After the leather had been added i weighted it down for ten minutes and hey presto! Job done!
Just be very careful if you go down that route because once it's stuck it never lets go!!!!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:31 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Hi, and thanks.. After some searching beyond this forum, it appears that not all vinyl is created equal..indeed some have four way stretch as opposed to the usual two and there are different thicknesses and backing layers. Therefore the 'grade' of glue required varies too...I realize that the backing on my vinyl is a bit thicker than what would be ideal, that I orientated the stretch direction left to right rather than top to bottom which may work better given the profile of the defender door, and in the second section relied too much on stretch than rubbing the material into the details as I went along. I will try again this weekend, but too make matters worse, the whole process stinks and it's too cold to work outside .. Cheers, tim
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:51 AM
Clarky199
Louis
1989 defender 110 hard top

Well good luck bud, I'd love to see some photos when it's all done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door