Suspension Upgrades - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Defender110Pilot
Chris
1986/Defender 110

Suspension Upgrades

Hey Guys,

I'm in the middle of a rebuild of my Defender 110. Chassis is now completely torn down and off to be blasted. What was just going to be an engine and transmission swap has turned into an everything swap.

I like the current height of my truck but was wondering what stock components should be upgraded while it is easily changed? The truck is almost primarily going to be on the street and my daily driver so I don't need any crazy off-road equipment. Ideally something that gives me great road performance and handling given the large increase of horsepower with the new LS3.

So question is 1) what components to upgrade and 2) what are the best suppliers of the new components?

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good air bag solution for spring replacement. I really like the idea of being able to lower the truck on the highway or to allow for easier access to parking garages. I have seen the air bag man system on their website but it does not have pricing nor can I find much specific information on operation or install. I could only find a Youtube video that showed a guy hooking up a trailer and then using an external air compressor to level the truck. My ideal solution would allow me to change the ride height from the drivers seat using an integrated controller.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Best Regards,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Some better shocks and sway bars front and rear if you do not have them.

Nobody builds/sells a bolt in air suspension system. You need to custom build one.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:20 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Upgrade your brakes....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 12:26 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
some time ago there was a company whom supplied a custom air controller for land rover, where it allowed side to side control in addition to factory front to rear.
the factory system could be left in place with out "piggybacking" the new system. this meant you could disable /not use the existing height sensors, but rather level the system thru air pressures.
fully adjustable and programmable and the best part you could retrofit it to any non air rover, you supplied the air springs.
I looked into it as a way to ditch the factory eas but eventually decided against it for personal reasons.
for the life of me I cannot remember whom it was, I will try to google. will post back if found.
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What has that got to do with a Defender? There is no problem finding great spring controllers and all the other parts. You still need to do some custom parts to install the springs and put it all together.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions