Suspension Refresh - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2018, 01:43 PM
MiamiDefender
Christian
1991 Defender 110

Suspension Refresh

Hey All,

I'm looking for a setup that suits overlanding on the occasional trip. It doesn't need to be extreme, long travel stuff. I'm also interested in potentially lowering the truck a little bit. Suggestions on spring and shock combos?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2018, 04:08 PM
MiamiDefender
Christian
1991 Defender 110

Also, if I do 1 inch lower in the front and 2 in the back, is that not advisable for light overlanding?
Old January 14th, 2018, 05:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Define "light overlanding".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2018, 05:07 PM
MiamiDefender
Christian
1991 Defender 110

Lol I would say no major climbing like that, no need for a lot of articulation. Grass, dirt, medium rocks, small hills... as I write this, my gut is telling me standard height is probably adviseable
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Don't lower it please, South Florida has enough teenagers driving bull shit lowered trucks rolling coal as it is. Determine what load you will be hauling most of the time and get springs accordingly. A lot depends on your particular vehicle and what you have on it. I.e. Winch, spare tire on the bonnet (or on a the rear) eta...
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:24 PM
MiamiDefender
Christian
1991 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Don't lower it please, South Florida has enough teenagers driving bull shit lowered trucks rolling coal as it is. Determine what load you will be hauling most of the time and get springs accordingly. A lot depends on your particular vehicle and what you have on it. I.e. Winch, spare tire on the bonnet (or on a the rear) eta...
Haha, I wasnít planning on lowering it much. I feel like 1Ē is pretty subtle. Something like what any of the custom houses do to fill that wheel well a little more and make the aesthetics that much better. Something like the attached photo in terms of ride height. My question being, is this still suitable for overlanding? If I load the truck up with gear, would I need stiffer springs to maintain a usable ride height, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D0A1E39-4672-4FF3-BB06-219B091376AE_1515986610224.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	345889  
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:15 AM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Lower it and post a picture to the wall of shame where the other better aesthetic land rovers live.
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:04 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Bigger tyres fill wheel wells better and for less net money. No compromises.
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
I lowered one of mine 2” front and back. The shocks were shot when I bought it and one spring was questionable, so I needed to do something. A 1988 90 with a heavier engine/tranny and much larger wheels/tires. I regularly take it light off roading at the in laws ranch with no issues. My other 90 has a 3” lift and 37” tires. My point is, do what you want with your LR.

Oh, I also violated the “no white letter tires rule” that’s bantered around here. However, in my defense I simply forgot to specify and that’s how they were mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41175D18-6A74-4B3F-84D1-6598CC5038A3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	345945  
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:22 AM
MiamiDefender
Christian
1991 Defender 110

I appreciate all the responses but I donít see a response with a legitimate explanation behind it. I get that some people are purists and will tell me I belong to the wall of shame and thatís fine. What I want to know is, is there any real reason that the standard ride height is more adviseable?

I canít imagine all these custom shops are standardizing their practice of lowering their trucks if it ruined the handling or prevented the Defender from at least light off-roading.

P.S. - I also donít understand why the purists are so dead-set against the look. Itís only an inch, itís not like itís a low rider
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:18 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Look. You can barely tell a 1" lifted Defender vs a 1" lowered Defender. I'm serious.

It's pointless to worry this much about it. It's pointless to try to get the input of a bunch of people you don't know over the internet over something so insignificant. You're opening yourself up to ridiculous responses because your question is, with respect, inconsequential.

Lowering a Defender always - ALWAYS - provides advantages:
1. Reducing COG
2. Reducing U-Joint operating angle in the front and rear driveshafts.

Cons:
1. Reduced ground clearance.

Stop worrying. You're worrying about 1" of travel to do "light overlanding". That's like getting on a kickboxing internet forum and writing about whether you should wear boxers or briefs so you can wrestle with your five year old. Pointless.

It's like asking about what the best $400 shocks you should buy to drive to the mall. It's really pointless!

You are inviting terrifyingly bad responses. Your question is what is causing the silly responses.
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:33 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Well, that sounds like a pretty legitimate explanation. If not, try 42.
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Stock is what you are asking for. Stock is a great setup. Most suspension changes will make things worse for what you are wanting. If you want to go a bit lower, go a bit lower. I doubt you will notice any differences when driving. If you want specific spring advice, let me know what exact springs are in it currently.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:51 AM
MiamiDefender
Christian
1991 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Look. You can barely tell a 1" lifted Defender vs a 1" lowered Defender. I'm serious.

It's pointless to worry this much about it. It's pointless to try to get the input of a bunch of people you don't know over the internet over something so insignificant. You're opening yourself up to ridiculous responses because your question is, with respect, inconsequential.

Lowering a Defender always - ALWAYS - provides advantages:
1. Reducing COG
2. Reducing U-Joint operating angle in the front and rear driveshafts.

Cons:
1. Reduced ground clearance.

Stop worrying. You're worrying about 1" of travel to do "light overlanding". That's like getting on a kickboxing internet forum and writing about whether you should wear boxers or briefs so you can wrestle with your five year old. Pointless.

It's like asking about what the best $400 shocks you should buy to drive to the mall. It's really pointless!

You are inviting terrifyingly bad responses. Your question is what is causing the silly responses.
This makes sense and clarifies a few things for me. My knowledge of this stuff is still limited so the fact that you're saying it's no biggie is something I didn't really know. My assumption was that it could be a big deal and it could not. You've made it clear it is not.

Thanks all
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:07 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 ůriginalť

Registry
if you're not sure, stock billistens are the way to go. If you would like a small lift OME 1.5" is a moderate lift.

Agreed with the comments above, you can't really tell 1" on a vehicle, tires are the most noticeable lift you can make. Most important is making sure everything works together
Old January 16th, 2018, 05:37 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

Suspension Refresh

I was looking at staying standard or dropping it down an inch with progressives. My issue was that the 110 swayed while driving. It currently has karbon shocks (sp) and unknown springs. After much work I determined I was running standard height. I decided on replacing all of my bushings with genuine first, then make sure my tie rods / steering are tight. If it still sways, then Iíll lower it an 1Ē and face the shame. I have 6.5 by 16 wolfs that will be going on soon with new shoes, so I have a feeling the rims will limit my tire size filling up the wheel well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Add sway bars.

Old January 16th, 2018, 06:44 PM
stancey
steven stancey

I have a rear sway bar. I looked into a front one awhile back. Still on my check off list before I change anything major. Any recommendations? I believe the couple I saw had the brackets welded in.

Old January 16th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can just get one off of a Disco 1. You need to weld on the brackets. You can get the brackets from YRM.

Or there are these for the serious spender. Swaybar kit

Old January 16th, 2018, 07:06 PM
stancey
steven stancey

Wow... those are steep. I like the disco option. Iíll get that on my list... thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions