Suspension questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
Suspension questions

Sorry I know this has been covered a thousand times before but just trying to do this right and have read every post on here so many times I think I am more confused then when I started.
It is time to replace the tires on my truck as they are starting to dry rot and while I am at it I need to do the spring and shocks as well. I am thinking of going with a two inch lift and am leaning towards 285/75/16’s on the stock rim. In reading all the previous posts I would not need to change much as going with a three inch lift and 35’s even though it is tempting as I have seen a few around and while they look nice it is more than I need. The 90 is not my daily driver although I do use it maybe once a week on road and enjoy taking it off road but am not boulder crawling. I guess to get to the point I would like to get the most travel out of this as I can based on my time with the truck so far and just want to hear everyone’s opinion of setup. If I retain the spring and go with longer shocks how long should I go and what should I change with it? I am trying to do this right and not cut corners to save a few dollars but most of the detailed threads seem to cover three inch lifts.
Appreciate any help and sorry I am not the most mechanically inclined,
Eric
I am sorry I should have just added this question to a existing thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

2" lift you may only have to replace the front drive shaft to a double cardon type, just in case you get some drivetrain vibration. When you go to the 3" lift you might have to in addition get the castor corrected, Modified swivel balls or C arms. A 285 will fit with stock wheels on a 2" lift however you will have to adjust your turning stops so that you do not rub the C arms. In order to get more flex out of your suspension you have to go with a different shock that is longer than stock. This will help the tire drop some more. Always remember that the more you increase the un-sprung weight, the weight of the tire and wheel, the more stress you will put on the suspension and the axles and the more you will have to beef stuff up.
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
2" lift will need castor correction radius arms that's it.
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 02:36 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Longer brake flex lines can't hurt either.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
Thanks for the replies, how long would you recommend for the length of the shocks?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions