suspension question - Scorpion - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Getting back to the question, what do you plan on doing with your 90? Do you like a hard or soft ride, do you carry 500lbs of gear with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asator
I have a 91 Range Rover and I am going for a suspension overhaul and want at least 2" lift and decent articulation without having to spend 4K on it. I am considering the Scorpion Racing EVO setup. Anyone have any experience with it? good / bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

"Why criticize components that you would never use?"
I wouldn't. Which is why I simply said I the equipe stuff wasn't for me and I wouldn't buy it. Where's the critiscm in my statement? I originally stated that I wasn't impressed by the SR as compared to the Rockware on my truck. I researched SR and decided against, but I am still entitled to an opinion. What's critical about the comparison? I never made claims to SR's performance, features or price.

And who's this guy? Does he have a website? I checked Scorpions list of distributors and I don't see anyone in Chicago.
Yes, I'll find it at home tonight and PM you if you'd like.

"We all know what the problem is with Bearmach and other manufacturers..... "
Again, what's your point. You originally said there weren't viable producers of LR springs and shocks. There are. So I can't state an opinion or comparison but you can? You're statement is much more critical and negative than my original comparison.

"Similar, not the same as ours.... my cones don't make any noise"
Good for your cones. I don't care. I simply stated that others with a similar product and engineering solution switched.

So why are you so defensive about all of this? If you believe in the product stand by it and support you customers. Let the product stand on it's merits.

By the way, do you run your own products? Speak from personal experience?

EwS
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry

Boys,
if all this mess doesn't give Thor a headache I don't know what can do...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Whoa... looks like we got some party going on in here...

No need for all the animosity. John runs the Scorpion Racing evo kit, springs and shocks and various other SR products, and he does wheel his truck - so he speaks from experience as well. We chose to sell Scorpion Racing products (among others) to find a niche and offer more choices to the LR community. Why crowd the sea of vendors specializing in OMEs and others (which are good products and we do offer them as well but not as much as SR). There are already more established vendors that have them and sell them very well.

Although there are some customer services issues that our UK folks experienced with Scorpion Racing, we have yet to see that from them. And as John pointed out, we will (4x4ag) stand behind the products that we carry, whether SR or others. The LR community is a very small, close knit community and we all know you can't shit without everyone in the community smelling it.

As far as the "other guy" in Chicago selling SR stuff, is it Ron Klein? I betcha it is. He no longer does it and had some business issues I was told.

Peace out!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II

Boys,
if all this mess doesn't give Thor a headache I don't know what can do...
LOL...... That's right...

Thor, sorry for this mess... if you're looking for a +2" lift, go to the vendors section. OME, RTE, and others are pretty good products as well.

Old October 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Yup. it was Ron. It was in his last leaflet earlier this year, early spring if I remeber.

EwS
Old October 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM
asator
Thor Jonsson

John,

Now that there is some balance to the opinion of the suspension question, I will do a bit more research and decide. Thanks for the input.
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
From the LRE post:

"Some of the posts on here have been nothing but scurrilous hearsay which is IMHO outrageous. It is one thing to take notice of somebody who has had a bad experiance and not follow there lead and another to publicly rubbish them on a BB. I personally know some of you who are guilty of this and quite frankly am appalled.
SR have almost gone out of there way to help me. They don't know me from Adam BTW and I have absolutely nothing to do with them.
I bought a lift kit from them for my 90. It wasn't the cheapest and i'd heard all the bad things about their stuff but decided that as they were the most helpful on the phone they would get my money. They asked what it was, winch fitted or not and how hard I wanted the ride. The bits came and were fitted all within a week. I went to a site the following week and got around very well but on returning home however I noticed that I had a broken rear shock. Got on the phone and spoke to Colin who asked me who had fitted them, I told him that i'd done it and straight away he asked me wether I had removed the cups from the shock mounting plate on the axle. I hadn't but he said he would replace the shock gratis under warranty and I didn't even need to send the old one back! He could have told me to send it back at my expence and made me pay for another one but he didn't. I expect someone is going to say that he knew that I had a Td5 for off roading and could see a big potential spend coming but so what? [/rolleyes]
This supermarket off road thing is really laughable too. Those of you who know me know what I am like and know that a shiney '01 Td5 90 got the same treatment as a not so shiney '79 bobtail RR. So what if someone wants to get into off roading and buys bolt on stuff, who cares? Are you a better driver if you've made all your own gear? The attitude of some stinks (I will name no names but my feeling is most on here know the guilty ones)
Mr Wightman is not excused in this rant either. Although Paul is a good friend of mine and will always be despite his veiws, the only gripe he has with SR is that LRM implied that some of his kit was supplied by them. Paul should have realised that those who matter would have realised this and nothing more would have been said.
The worshipping and a$$licking of the likes of Bucky makes me cringe, it seems as though if you've bought your gear from them you automatically become a personal friend and have the right to quote him on everything. He 'used' to win everything due to the monkey in the passenger seat NOT because he used +2 OME springs!!!
Some of you need to grow up.
I have done most of the winch series events in this country a long time ago in my RR (didn't do the JBS as it wasn't about) and did ok but not brilliant because I wasn't prepared to throw the time and money at it that was needed. I'm glad i'm not involved anymore as i'd hate to be associated with the i'm/my cars better than yours mentality.

[/rant]

And breathe.........

Jon-E-"

Right on the nose.

Michele, an Evo Kit almost made your RR rollover???/ Huh?? Let's see, an Evo Kit is supposed to give you 2" of down travel. It doesn't modify your springs or shocks. Maybe I'm missing something here. What kind of lift do you have? What were the conditions (driving fast, etc) and what angle?

Anyway, if you are considering purchasing SR products in the US just remember that you are purchasing directly from us and not SR. We will guarantee all parts and stand behind them 100%. Scorpion has been doing the same for us. 90% of the LR vendors in the US stand behind their products or the products they sell.

I do agree that most companies (not all) in the UK are pretty greedy and won't speak to you unless you plan on spending mucho dinero but that is not the case here in the US.

BTW, I didn't see anything in the LRE BB that would bad mouth the Evo Kit (maybe I missed something).... I read about their springs and shocks but like someone mentioned you have to remove the cups on the top and bottom of the rear spring perch (Discos only).

Thor, there are many options out there and very good vendors that can supply you with a lift. You indicated that you wanted a 2" lift for your Rangie and that you were looking at the Evo Kit. Like I said before the Evo kit does not give you a lift, instead it allows you 2 more inches of down travel. You can keep your stock springs and shocks and get the extra 2" of down travel with this kit.

With respect to the springs (and this is based on my own experience) I have the Big Blue 3" springs on my 88 RR with Bilstein shocks. The ride is great but as you know the springs sag after a few years of abuse (which ones don't??). My 96 D1 had the OMEs and I replaced them with our own brand (4x4ag). They ride softer than the OMEs and give me a 2.5" "true" lift. Unfortunately we are testing them right now and won't be in production for another 9-12 months. My partner Adrian (98 D1) also has them on his rover along with Koni Heavy Track shocks. I run deCarbon shocks on my 96 D1.

I have the SR springs (2.5" +20% front and +25% rear) with deCarbon +2" shocks, Evo Kit, SR front winch bumper and soon will have the SR rear bumper, sliders and QT protection on my 95 D1. The ride is great and the articulation is awesome. No sagging of the rear springs under load. Last weekend I traveled from NY to VA to attend the Mid Altantic Rally with over 600 lbs of gear in the 95 D1 and it sat level and rides fine.

Thor, since you are out on the West Coast I would recommend that you give EE a call.

Good luck,

John C.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions