Suspension question, opinions welcome - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Slick62
Kevin
94 Defender 90

Unhappy Suspension question, opinions welcome

I have had my Defender for 4 years, it came with air suspension, attached compressor, gauges ect. The system doesnt hold air. I have tried/sort of fixed it a few times, found the leak, tightened the nut replaced the rubber washer. But in a couple weeks its broke again, I dont know exactly whats on there, they are yellow with no serial numbers, the compressor is ARB and the gauges are Rancho

I am done with it, I don't do any crazy offroading, and just want to put on some gas shocks. So it handles better on the road.

- What do all the cool kids do for shocks, as far as brand name? OME, Bilstien, Rancho. Are these TerraFirma things, any good?

- What do I need to consider when I buy new ones, I have an ARB bumber with winch and a 1 - 1.5 inch lift (I think)

- Do I need to replace the springs too? or can I just do the shocks and do the springs later if needed?

Thanks for looking and your opinion/advice. If anybody is in the Denver area and wants to look at it for me, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks
Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Don't know the nitty gritty of springs and shocks. Usually you want to out of good habit change both springs and shocks at the same time. There are a few guys on here that have been using terrafirma w/good results. Old man emu is a brand I am familiar with and hold up pretty well.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Clarification- As someone with an AirRide suspension on my 110 (it is basically fool proof and never has failed in 8 years). My system has no springs - only shocks and airbags. It sounds like you have springs? Anyway, you need to let us know tire size and then you will hear all sorts of combinations of springs and shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

Wait, is this the Defender with the Air Suspension that was in LRO some years back?
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sounds more like you have the Rancho adjustable shock system, not an air-ride system. The Rancho system has it's own compressor. The ARB compressor should be for your ARB lockers.

Try cutting off the end of the air line and re-seating them. Use some soapy water in a spray bottle to find the leaking connection.

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick62 View Post
- What do all the cool kids do for shocks, as far as brand name? .
Thanks
Kev

I think the cool kids use http://www.kingshocks.com/
Not being one of them, I use Rancho 9000s
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Slick62
Kevin
94 Defender 90

Yes they are air shocks,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions