Suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

Suspension

I wanted to get some input regarding a new lift for my d-90. I currently have the OME and am running 265/16 MTRs. What would you guys suggest maximum travel and lift? I would love to get her up on 35" boggers, but god Safari gard is expensive. Any other suggestions? If I do break down and fork over the $2k for the Safari gard kit what have been your experiences? Thanks for the help guys!
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2004, 02:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you can get about 3" outta an OME I think Mike Hippert has an OME setup on 35" to be honest there are a number of people with the OME and 35" tires. THere are many more options than the S Gard.
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I'm pretty new to the D-90 thing but, I'd be interested in learning more about the coil over option. How are people doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Check out www.expeditionexchange.com they have an entire writeup on OME springs. John Lee is running a 3" setup also.
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Rovertyme 3" springs with 1" blocks up front and 4" springs in the back on mine and lovin it with 35" MTRs.
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

I have ome and 35's BFG MT's with some fender triming and 4 1/2 inch bumpstops. No problem mon!
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:59 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I'm using the SG Stage II kit, very happy with it, the Fox shocks are rebuildable, lots of wheel travel.

I plan to use 35' tires either 10.5 or 12.5s with 4" backspace wheels. 12.50s may require trimming the fender flares.
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I like the way the Scorpion equipement looks and it is used and tested in a lot more trucks than the stuff over here. I am not saying it is any better than Safari Gard, but I would take a serious look at how they are doing things if I was upgrading equip.
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:40 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
speaking of 3" suspensions..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	292  
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:36 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

The one big thing I missed when researching this are the driveshafts, seems like anything over 3 inches requries new shafts? I was all excited I could lift the truck for relatively cheap and then I found that.
Just FYI.
Dennis
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:42 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Disclaimer: I don't have any lift (yet), but I have done a lift on my old j**p and have been looking into an moderate OME lift for the d90.

There is a lot more to think about when lifting a rig than just the springs and shocks (and their placement). As Dennis stated, I have heard that anywhere from 2-3 inches, drive-line issues need to be addressed. Also think about brake line extensions and radius arm upgrades. Then there are bigger tires which bring their own set of problems. Bigger brakes, new gearings, fender trimming, and steering stops may all need to be adjusted or replaced. Of course, this is just my $.02
-Mike
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Angocat
Anders Larsen
1989 110" V8 SW

Hi Chris Davis

There are only one problem with Scorpion Racing....All the cool stuff are not theirs..But from the Italian company www.equipe4x4.com and Scorpion are way overpriced.... A friend off mine have the Extreme kit from Scorpion......But I still love my SG 3-link and JEK Stage III Suspension
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ben, what OME springs do you have? What kind of 4 wheelin are you planning to do? Is your 90 a daily driver? Do you mind changing your drive shafts, axles, and gears? I know these are a lot of ?'s but that's how you should start to see which lift set up will work for you. For example, if you are only planning to do mud bogging then you do not need long travel suspension, and lockers is the way to go.....

Joe, I'm doing a coil over right now and the rear is very easy and you can do it yourself and all you need is the $$ . The front has to be custom made, and required cutting and welding. If you need more info on the rear let me know. Next month Keith @ Rover Tracks will do the front coil over on my D90 and hopefully he'll find a simple way to do it. As soon as it's done I'll post pictures and what springs and rates I'm using.
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:50 PM
tims90
Tim Bentley
2000, D90 Td5 ex-CSW

Anders

The Scorpion stuff is indeed "inspired" by Equipe, but has been modified somewhat.

It costs less from Scorpion than it does from Equipe and have you tried buying from Equipe?

Tim
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Angocat
Anders Larsen
1989 110" V8 SW

Wrong Tim.......All the Extreme suspension/Tubular bumper stuff come from Equipe4x4...Modified by Scorpion Hmmm....All the stuff produced by Scorpion works fine but the finish looks like crap..Sorry to say.

Nope I never purchased from Equipe4x4....But I was in London 3 month ago and I visit Scorpion on my way....I only get my things from Safarigard,Rovertracks and RockWare Because I do not only won't my truck to work great off-road it shall also look great
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:29 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Someone said a US vendor was becoming a vendor for them and the line up of stuff. Anyone remeber who that was or any details? I am really liking the one bumper of theirs but the Euro prices are insane. Be interested to see how they get priced when they get here.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

RN is selling the Evolution kit:

http://www.roversnorth.com/NSP14_html/NSP14_pg3.htm
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Angocat
Anders Larsen
1989 110" V8 SW

Hey Chris

http://www.roverlandproducts.com

Maybe they can help you
The Bumpers cost from $400-700
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That is good to know about the finish on the Scorpion pieces--the pieces I have seen have been installed, so I did not pay much attention to their finish (under the mud). I fully agree with you on the finish and quality of Rovertracks and Rockware. I am currently running Rovertracks rear radius arms and front offset tierod and their quality is top notch. My wife's from London and we get back there pretty often (about once a year) so next time there I will stop by Scorpion. One of these trips I am definetly going to get myself a crate of "stuff" to ship back.

As for Safari Gard, my days dealing with them are pretty much done until I hear they have restructured or something. I won't waste the space rehashing my experience with them here.
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:31 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Will & Anders, cool, thanks.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions