surrey top - gutter vs. snap rail - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

surrey top - gutter vs. snap rail

I bought a surrey top from a forum member a few months ago...it's in very good condition but I didn't realize that it won't fit with my gutter kit. Is a gutter kit compatible surrey top made or am I stuck with removing the gutters when I want to switch tops?

If a gutter compatible surrey exists, does anyone have a pic they can post?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
which surrey do you have? If you have the Bestop with the adjustable C-hoop snaps, it'll fit, it just may not be ideal because of the sharper ends of the Gk fins. Badger makes a compatible gutter kit surrey.
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

It is a best top but I don't really see how it's going to fit. Are you saying that this surrey is supposed to fit over the top of the gutters or under?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
You can feed it into the header bar nice and snug, snap the two snaps that are on the surrey to the header bar, go over the sides of the GK, and there should be straps on your surrey on both sides right where the end of your GK ends and B pillar begins. Pull the straps nice and snug around the outside (sides) of the B pillar, around the inside, then back around the outside and up into the strap receiver that is on the other side of the B pillar on the surrey. If you have an alpine bow, secure your alpine straps to go along the back side of the alpine bar (again giving you tension to the front end of your surrey). Then let your snap straps (for the C pillar) all the way out and snap them to your C pillar, then bring them in to make them nice and snug. Secure those last straps for the outsides of the C pillar, re-tighten your snap straps to the C-pillar, and you're all good. Yeah your snaps to the B pillar will not attach, and your alpine bow Velcro will not line up, but it'll work like that if secured.
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I guess a picture is worth more than my words. My GK verticals were removed here, but it wouldn't interfere if they were installed, either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1292402839.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	36436  
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Thanks for the post and pic...I'm going to give it a shot this afternoon to see if I can get this thing on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
surrey top