Sunroof install - Help Needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
stnmikita
Brian
1995 Defender SW

Sunroof install - Help Needed

Ok forum folks, I'm hoping someone else has already solved this problem and has some suggestions.

I just replaced my '95 D-90 SW glass sunroof with the solid aluminum drop-in piece from RoversDownSouth.

All has gone well until the last step, installing the final piece of black rubber trim that covers the area between the edge of the sunroof border and the headliner. There is a groove in the aluminum border of the sunroof where the trim piece is pressed in. It is fairly easy to connect the trim piece to the straight sides of the sunroof border but the curves are virtually impossible. The straight trim piece refuses to bend/mold to the curves and simply will not follow the contour or cover the gap between the edge of the sunroof and the headliner.

I've sweated, cursed, and re-started the process too many times to count. This last little piece is all that stands between me and the completion of this project. I'm hoping that the more experienced will have some tips before I have to break down and take this to someone who may know what they are doing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

See if you can post some pictures......that might help.
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

you might have to notch the weatherstripping to make a sharp curve (similar to kerf cuts in wood).

Before you do that post pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2010, 12:40 AM
stnmikita
Brian
1995 Defender SW

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is the latest:

I spoke to the good folks at Rovers North this morning and they were kind enough to track down an actual instruction sheet (something conspicuously missing from my box of parts). The gentleman I spoke with was about to fax it to me when I asked if he could just read the relevant portion to me over the phone before going to the trouble. I'm glad he did because in typical Land Rover fashion the instructions were as follows:

"Press the rubber trim piece into the groove around the interior frame of the sunroof."

I thanked him and told him no need to fax that 'vital' information.

Ultimately, the problem was solved by using the old trim piece from the former glass sunroof. It's old, used, and sort of faded, but it is 'pre-curved' from years of being installed and it fits the gap between the headliner and the sunroof exactly. Do I feel great about this solution? Not really, but it works and looks fine, just not new and shiny. I plan to take the new (and unused) trim piece with me on my next trip to Annapurna where I will light it on fire and fling it from the top of the summit. It should be fairly cathartic.

Thanks again for the suggestions and for those that took the time to read this.
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

The new trim fits just fine, have done a few. It's a pain in the arse, but it does go. Try some dish soap(small amount) and it helps lube the track. It does go in there.
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:07 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Also, with rubber trims (like the one that holds the door mirror glass in place), try warming it up in a pan of water on your oven (or stick it in a bucket, boil the kettle and pour the contents into the bucket*) . that'll soften it up a bit

* Caution: Water may be hot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof, sunroof