Sunroof heat...any solutions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Sunroof heat...any solutions?

I live in CA and in an effort to cool off the inside of the Defender I've dynamatted the whole inside of the truck and tinted the windows. Its helped a lot. But I finally found the culprit. The sunroof lets in so much heat. On a sunny day I can feel the heat radiating in from the sunroof. I don't know what guys in Arizona or Nevada do but I am looking for a solution to help take care of the heat. I thought about tinting it but it has a textured pattern on the inside of the glass that the tint guys said will keep it from adhering properly. I've searched the board but haven't found any solutions.

Has anyone found a good solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

there are metal sunroof inserts you can get, I believe george at RDS has a few... They are for military Defenders, not ideal by far, but would solve your problem, and if you want to enjoy the weather outside you can just pop it out (like I do anyway) with the added benefit of not worrying about breaking it in the rear of your SW.

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/image...r/STC3909B.JPG

It's even on special... $150, maybe also a good solution for those of us in wet/cold regions.
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Maybe get a big piece of the static cling tint - the kind people usually use in the back seats for temporary sun shading for kids in car seats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The Military one looks cool. I would leave it green
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Ghetto solution: Wedge one of those springy windshield shades between the inside rollbar pads and the sunvisors.
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Problem solved.
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Get the Military sunroof and line it with Dynamat and Reflectix. Reflectix reflects up to 97% of radiant heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
The Military one looks cool. I would leave it green
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

is the military one green? It sure as $hit looks white to me in the pic, and would be interested to know, as I'm considering this for the more wet seasons...
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I used black out window tint. If you look really close you can see the pattern of the glass but I think it looks good and it works great.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Andrew View Post
is the military one green? It sure as $hit looks white to me in the pic, and would be interested to know, as I'm considering this for the more wet seasons...
outside green inside white or at least it looks that way to me
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I bought a sheet of vinyl sticker in black. I put it on the top of the glass outside up top and used a razor to trim to fit. It's been there for years and it blocks all light. It is the perfect solution.

97 D90 SW
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

I met a member here from Colorado a while ago who painted his. It was the same color as the white on the roof and looked good. I thought it was a factory thing until he told me.
Maybe he'll chime in.

HB
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I thought about painting, but it was too permanent. I also bought a sheet of vinyl sticker in white to try, but once I got the black one done it just looked too good and I never wanted to try the white. I will try to get a picture up soon.

The key is to put it on the outside of the glass, that way the little texture patterns won't interfere with the sticky.

97 D90 SW
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:48 AM
671rover
671rover
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer View Post
I bought a sheet of vinyl sticker in black. I put it on the top of the glass outside up top and used a razor to trim to fit. It's been there for years and it blocks all light. It is the perfect solution.
I did something similar. Instead I got a sheet of vinyl, light grey to match the head liner, and I installed it to the inside of the sunroof. Don't have a problem of it not sticking to the texture, it's been there for years. I'm sure it works better at reflecting the sunlight than black.
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My father made a sun shield that goes up in there to block the sun. I think he used that plastic version of cardboard. ITs like a piece of sign material.. Works great and was cheap.
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

I would go with blackout window tint... likely the cheapest/least permanent solution... they also have tint that has reflective (mirror) coating on the side facing out that works well. I'd be a bit hesitant to put vinyl or other products on the outside as they would tend to get "baked" on over time and likely (unless it was rated as such) would discolor and degrade quickly. That being said those shops that sell customized vehicle wrapping could probably easily and cheaply provide a solution if you took it out and took it to them. Same for tinting shops as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof, sunroof