Suggestions for storing fiberglass top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Suggestions for storing fiberglass top

Hi - I'm looking for some ideas on how to best store my fiberglass top once I remove it for the summer/fall. I know my first instinct is to throw it away, because it is crap. However, I'm looking for a storage solution so it can live to fight another winter.

Last year I disassembled the top from the sides, and stored the L-shaped side pieces in rafters of my garage. I propped the top against the wall and secured with bungie cords. This seems like a pain the ass, but it's the best idea I have so far.

Anyone care to share some storage tips?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:11 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Put the large flat portion of the top upside down in the rafters so you are looking at the exterior of the top from below. Put all the windows and stuff in it. Storing the large part against a wall just makes the edges chip and fall apart. I always left the sides and rear panels attached as one piece. Seemed to decrease the stress on them not taking them apart and reassembling them. This worked best for me as I could do it myself.

Another option if your rafters won't work is to take tie downs and strap it to the rafters with truck tie downs and then stick all the windows in it again.

I got tired of storing the tops so I sold the trucks.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The Jeepers have this down to an art. They build a platform for the top to sit in and hoist it up so that you can drive the front of the truck under it. The other way is to stand it on the tail gate section again in a platform that can be moved around.
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:40 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Have you tried eBay?

-Jeff
I think I'd get more pleasure out of destroying it...

That said, it's all I've got.

Wondering about a stand of some sort, with wheels. I saw one on a vintage Mercedes website from another post. That way I could roll it around. Or, the rafter idea, but I don't think I have enough ceiling clearance to not disassemble the sides. Or I could convince the wife to let me stash it in the storage unit.

Or I could destroy it.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Rack on wheels would be slick. Less hassle than the rafters and probably a bit more protected. I'm envisioning a 2x4 type of frame on wheels that supports the big piece and then the smaller bits go in it.

Jeepers also have a one piece top not 4-6 (depending on how you disassemble it). I had a sweet set up for my Jeep top- drive in and out to put it on and off. I never even bothered with the soft top.

Your wife won't let that dirty, nasty Land Rover part in her storage unit. A girlfriend would but not a a wife.

Use it as a huge sled before you destroy it. That would be awesome. Make sure to get video- the damn thing will probably leak oil and stall in the middle of the run just to be true to it's heritage.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Brilliant!
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For my Series, I bought one of the Jeep top winch/rack setups from Jeep Essentials (blasphemy, I know) and when I take off the hardtop for the summer I just back the truck into the garage and winch it off. Then I can still pull in forward and park under the top/etc.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2012 10:09 PM ------

This one:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_01_07.htm
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Use a Thule winch system that is used for roof-top boxes.

Flip it upside down and load all the parts in it and wind it up.

http://www.rei.com/product/775390/thule-box-lift

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Ive been thinking about this myself and thought a drywall dolly like this might be useful
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7353_200307353
I would pad the base with rubber matt and put an old surfboard pad used on roofracks to lean it against.
Using bungies or straps to hold it in place.

I'm almost tempted to steal one from a home depot parking lot!

I also found this link of something that might work
http://www.ukcustomcovers.com/collec...-hardtop-stand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass