Suggestions for new shocks / steering damper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:02 AM
rayjay003
Jason
1987 90 RHD 2.5 Petrol

Suggestions for new shocks / steering damper

Hi, I am new to this site and purchased a 1987 LR 90 RHD 2.5 petrol about 8 months ago. It has about 138k miles and I believe the original shocks. I am looking to replace all four of them along with the steering damper. I use the vehicle mostly for driving around town and the beach so I do not need any crazy off road setup. It is riding on a set of NAS 16" alloys with BF Goodrich TA KO2s so these are beefier than the stock steelies. What would you suggest I put on as far as shocks and damper? Should I go with heavy duty due to the wheel/tire combo? Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to using this site a lot more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:12 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay003 View Post
Hi, I am new to this site and purchased a 1987 LR 90 RHD 2.5 petrol about 8 months ago. It has about 138k miles and I believe the original shocks. I am looking to replace all four of them along with the steering damper. I use the vehicle mostly for driving around town and the beach so I do not need any crazy off road setup. It is riding on a set of NAS 16" alloys with BF Goodrich TA KO2s so these are beefier than the stock steelies. What would you suggest I put on as far as shocks and damper? Should I go with heavy duty due to the wheel/tire combo? Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to using this site a lot more!
Here is my 2 pennies. Wait for 4th of July weekend when Rovers North has the free shipping weekend and buy HD OEM springs and the Bilstien shocks and stabilizer. Call ahead and get all your part numbers so you can enter them in correctly. Sign up for the spam that Zack sends out in advance.
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

What size tires are you running? I'm assuming your your Ninety came stock w/ 7.50 x 16 tires which are pretty beefy considering whats pushing them. If you're currently running stock suspension and have no intentions of off-roading I'd stick w/ the OEM shocks & damper. Check out Trevor at the Rovahfarm when you get ready to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2016, 02:58 PM
rayjay003
Jason
1987 90 RHD 2.5 Petrol

Thanks for the reply. Tires are BFG ALL-TERRAIN TA KO2 LT265/75R16 and the wheels are stock NAS 16" alloys
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:08 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I vote for getting non gas-charged emulsion shocks. cheap ones like rs5000's. the softer the better =)
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Based on what you state, I would just get some stock shocks.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:25 PM
ClassicLRParts
Lee
Defender 90

I would recommend Bilsteins I can get the part numbers if you would like.
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:44 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLRParts View Post
I would recommend Bilsteins I can get the part numbers if you would like.
I have bilsteins from shock warehouse dot com. Cheapest place around. I used disco Spring isolators to give a little more compliance to the ride.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 27th, 2016, 10:48 AM
rayjay003
Jason
1987 90 RHD 2.5 Petrol

Thank you all for the feedback. It looks like I will be going with a set of stock shocks, damper and springs. For my needs, I just don't think I would see much benefit from a more pricey set. I'm sure I will see an improvement in ride quality considering these are probably from 1987!
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:22 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
other than the springs, I say NON-GAS steering damper, stops that wandering feeling, OME my main choice. Drive the landie with-out the steering damper for a while and it will show up any slop in the front end that needs tightening up. The Damper is only really needed in off-road driving.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Since you aren't looking for springs, go with Bilstein shocks.

That said, if you decide to change the springs, sticking with stock set up for your engine type will likely work well. Once ready to replace shocks, springs take very little extra work.

If your front shock towers have seen better days, this is a good time to replace them.
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Bilstein. Just the stock replacement. Don't worry about HD this or that as you aren't hauling any weight other than the truck and that's what those shocks are setup for. They are a decent on road and off road upgrade.
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:39 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Bilsteins seem to be preferred for street duty. Do a search to look for a good price.

Also consider adding spring isolators while you are in there. That could probably also help with the ride. Will give you a touch of lift as well.

If you are going to wheel it, I've got OME shocks that work great.

No need to go HD...anything...unless you are carrying a bunch of crap. Keeping a 90 light is the way to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions