sudden eng. temp rise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

sudden eng. temp rise

Ok, so I have a 200 tdi which normally runs at around 180F. I have a viscous fan but no fan shroud so it doesn't really do much. made it throught the hot summer like this with no problems. recently I have noticed when in traffic the temp has risen to around 200F, but as soon as I started moving and got air flow it would drop back to 180. today, on a cool day I noticed while sitting at a traffic light that the temp was rising and it climbed to above 200, up to 210 or so. when I started moving it went back down. I was not stopped long and I am worried that if I stop for longer it will continue to climb above 210.
what should I be looking for to cause this sudden rise in temp? also, what is an engine damagiing temp? at what temp should I shut her down if I see it rising?

I have not noticed any coolant loss etc, but will check it when it cools down. I am now at work and can't really go out a and f*** around with the car in the parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mine does that when coolant is low. With a pressurized system and antifreeze you can hit 230 without damaging things but its scary. Get a shroud or electric fan.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
if nothing else changed and it is getting hot now with the cooler weather, I would suspect the fan clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
if nothing else changed and it is getting hot now with the cooler weather, I would suspect the fan clutch.
I agree. If the coolant is not low and the temp was fine in the summer, fan clutch is the next suspect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions