Sudden decrease / loss of power, bucking, stalling, etc - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
buy the ignition amp relocation kit from AB...which I plan on doing anyway at some point in the future, just didn't have time now before the trip this weekend.
I wouldn't bother with that. Better to wire up for the GM ignition module that you can buy by the dozens at Napa, Pep Boys, etc...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I wouldn't bother with that. Better to wire up for the GM ignition module that you can buy by the dozens at Napa, Pep Boys, etc...
Wouldn't you still need some sort of "relocation" portion of the kit? It's a pain in the arse pulling the dizzy to replace the damn thing. Or are you saying just jerry-rig up some sort of harness?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yup. You would need a twisted pair harness coming from the diz pins going to the spade connections on the GM module, then spade connectors (both ends) for the POS and NEG wires that go to the coil. That's about it. Oh yeah and a mounting thingamajig to ground it.
Rover wire colors slightly different
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEI4PinWire01.gif
Views:	1610
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	66182  

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 11:07 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh, and FYI there is an open "IOU" (and thanks) to Galpin for one said Ignition Module! And to Huff for assisting with removal and setting the timing.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Actually what would really be good to know is why this 90 is driving me insane.
It's female and that time of the month?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Roover
Mat Morgan
94 defender 90

With new cap and rotor, don't forget to adjust the air gap.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I hate to chime in on something that may have already been put to rest, but my truck is doing something similar. I am thinking about replacing the coil pack and ignition module this week prior to leaving on a road trip Saturday. Will I need to adjust my timing when doing this or is this a plug and play kindof thing?
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I hate to chime in on something that may have already been put to rest, but my truck is doing something similar. I am thinking about replacing the coil pack and ignition module this week prior to leaving on a road trip Saturday. Will I need to adjust my timing when doing this or is this a plug and play kindof thing?
Mine was the ignition module. I replaced with a good/used module because that's what I had on hand, and I needed it fixed ASAP. I've since procured the ignition module relocation kit, and plan to install that to make it easier to access later in case I need to swap it again (really, just in case it's the voltage regulator on my alternator that's shorting out the ignition module...in which case would be nice to plug and play going forward).

But yes, you'll need to pull the distributor. IF you're careful and mark the distributor, cap, rotor with a grease pencil (and mark on the block the orientation as well) I think you should be able to pull it and put it back together without changing the timing.

However, we did mine at Jeff Huff's and he had a timing light (and knew what he was doing) so we re-set my timing. But after going through the process I realized if you were careful you may not need to do the timing.

Good luck - my problem drove me crazy, but since the fix in the 3-weeks following I drive to WV, then to PA, then to NY, then to VT, and back to VA...with no issues. Something like 3000 miles in 2 months I've done....safe to say it cured the problem.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:56 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Ok. So what I am thinking I am hearing is that the ignition module is burried beneath the dizzy. TI really don't know where it is. Anyway, so to get to it you have to pull the dizzy which sounds like the reason for the relocation kit. Hmmm. My problem is starting to sound not nearly as bad as yours. May just give the coil pack a start first.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:04 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am starting to like what I am seeing here. So if I go with the GM HEI setup, I am thinking I might be able to abandon the old module. Leave it where it is, and put the new module in where it is reachable without having to pull the dist and retime. Is that correct?

Alright. Minor wrench/possible help. I just went and pull the hood of my truck to look at the Coil and leads. As I was doing so I noticed that my ignition module might actually have been located right next to my coil pack up along the front DS of the truck. That said I think it is also a 3 pin. I think it is $40 to address this coil pack. I am probably going to pull them both and see what happens.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I just ordered and am picking up a coil pack and module here in about 30 minutes. Mine has the relocation kit on it, and I am planning expecting that I can simply do a plug and play here at the office when I get it back with me. Sure hope I am not wrong, and this thing starts right back up!! I have a soccer game to coach in 3 hours!

RickM
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Not exactly. You have to remove the old module first so the job is as bad as just replacing the module the first time. Only after that does it get easier.
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Not exactly. You have to remove the old module first so the job is as bad as just replacing the module the first time. Only after that does it get easier.
Charles, I think Rick said he already has the relocation kit...so actually he should be able to plug-and-play, correct?

Speaking of which, I picked up a relo kit to put in mine as well...so will get to do the job all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I just ordered and am picking up a coil pack and module here in about 30 minutes. Mine has the relocation kit on it, and I am planning expecting that I can simply do a plug and play here at the office when I get it back with me. Sure hope I am not wrong, and this thing starts right back up!! I have a soccer game to coach in 3 hours!

RickM
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 11th, 2013, 03:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes you are right - I completely misread that. Rick you should be good to go!
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:41 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Got it done. It was plug and play, and believe it or not, it actually runs!
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:48 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Tank has been full to half full during this.

I'll replace the filter in the morning with one from Napa (they said they stock one for a 90, but we'll see what it looks like when I get there).

Vehicle will - at times - run for an hour or more with no issues at all. I was wondering myself if a fuel pump on its way out would exhibit symptoms like this. Bill Larson said his did...which leads me to believe it could be the culprit.

But I'll check the other items - ignition module, vacuum leak, etc.

Alt is relatively new and has not been exhibiting any behaviors I'd link to it being bad.
What ultimately fixed the issue? I am experiencing the exact same issue in my 1994 NAS Def 90 V8.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecr