Sudden decrease / loss of power, bucking, stalling, etc - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Very Nice! I hope you didnt find the junk in your tank that I found in mine!
Dude what is that gunk all over your pickup screen??? Looks like everything is coated in a blue gel or something. Mine was surprisingly clean actually, it's just that the fuel sock was a little brittle and cracked around the collar...figured I'd replace it while in there too (making the $8 Napa one fit, which should on the new pump).

Looking forward to getting this done and test driving hopefully tomorrow.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

dont know what that was....well I did get gas in Ohio once or twice....I always get bad gas in Ohio...oh wait thats something else! lol. Yeah no clue but it wasnt gel like. What bothered me the most was the plastic bits. But youre right the crap all over the screen was a mix of everything, who knows!
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:25 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Lav, do your self a favor and stop hunting casper...
download rover gauge if you havent all ready and hook the truck, look into the electronics of the ecu and what it does during running time.
tap into the fuel line and monitor it's pressure, that way you will be able to pinpoint if it is a fuel or a spark issue, if spark of course the fuel pump will continue to deliver but, the ecu receives a trigger signal from the coil in order to time the injector pulse so injectors will remain closed.
keep an eye on the coolant temp sensor, if it has the wrong readings it will tend to flood the engine thus sending the ecu into limp mode where it becomes erratic.
last but not least and highly unlikely in this type of weather (much more prevalent during the summer due to the heat in the engine compartment) the ignition module tends to overheat and develop internal intermittant short to ground..
all of what I have described will cause the simptoms and behavior your truck is experiencing, throwing parts at it with out the proper diag simply becomes a hassle to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well...it ain't the fuel pump! Replaced with a Carter pump from Napa, same issue persists. Just to rule out other fueling issues, a few recommended putting a fuel pressure gauge into the mix to monitor pressure during the "issue". I'm not seeing a valve/etc on the fuel rail, is there a spot that's best to tap into the system? Or do you have to make some homemade job to rig up in order to get a fuel pressure testing in line?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Well...it ain't the fuel pump! Replaced with a Carter pump from Napa, same issue persists. Just to rule out other fueling issues, a few recommended putting a fuel pressure gauge into the mix to monitor pressure during the "issue". I'm not seeing a valve/etc on the fuel rail, is there a spot that's best to tap into the system? Or do you have to make some homemade job to rig up in order to get a fuel pressure testing in line?
NOTE: found this thread on the inline pressure tester (goes in place of the fuel filter) -
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...9&postcount=11

Same/similar one is available at Napa part# BK 7002460.

Heading to Huff's tonight to replace the Ignition Amplifier Module and set/check the timing, as that's the new suspect. If that doesn't do it picking up the inline pressure tester to start back with that and do proper diagnostics before proceeding with any other fixes.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
did you ever carb cleaner the air hoses?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
did you ever carb cleaner the air hoses?
Yeah I sprayed down all the hoses in and around the plenum....no change or evidence of air leak.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2013, 04:21 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
good to know.
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
good to know.
Actually what would really be good to know is why this 90 is driving me insane.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Have you checked your TPS??
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Have you checked your TPS??
I have not...but wouldn't that cause some bucking, but not stalling?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
it's an idea ... at idle the TPS reads about 4-6% of throttle ... if it were bad and produced high and low numbers, including a 0% ... maybe it could cause a stall.

Do yourself a favor and setup roverguage ... it will give you the values of all the sensors as seen at the ECU ... this is important because you might have a good sensor ... but a crap connection back to the ECU itself.

Or if you come into the city you could borrow my ECUMate which is self contained but does the same functions.
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:21 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't want to get too sassy here, but ran out to Huff's to pull my distributor (and set the timing) and replace my ignition amplifier module. Just drove an hour back with - knock on wood - no problem. We'll see!

On a psuedo-related note. While pulling the distributor, figured now was a good time to replace the cap and rotor. Picked up the parts from Napa (cap $60, rotor $30). Total shite! The truck ran so rough that we couldn't even throttle up without it dying. Slapped the old cap & rotor back on and ran great. Lesson learned, go genuine when you do a tune up!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 13th, 2013, 02:16 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Very good lesson. I can't get anything for my truck there except oil.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:19 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
I don't want to get too sassy here, but ran out to Huff's to pull my distributor (and set the timing) and replace my ignition amplifier module. Just drove an hour back with - knock on wood - no problem. We'll see!
Like they say, when you hear hooves, look for horses, not zebras.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jason, glad to here the ignition module appears to have done the trick.

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and setup roverguage ... it will give you the values of all the sensors as seen at the ECU ... this is important because you might have a good sensor ... but a crap connection back to the ECU itself.
He is just being stubborn. He has had ample opportunities to borrow mine (including last night)
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:45 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Jason, glad to here the ignition module appears to have done the trick.

He is just being stubborn. He has had ample opportunities to borrow mine (including last night)
Seeing as how he was already on track to get to my place after 9PM I told him not to bother stopping off at your place. Basic logic was to replace the most likely culprit (ignition module) and if that didn't help he could dig deeper into the diagnostics. That being said, I think it would still be good to hook up Rovergauge on our road trip on Friday to see if anything funky is going on while running up the highway.

On a separate note, I was reminded once again that my wife really loves me as I did not even get a remark from her this morning about Jason and I revving his engine at midnight!
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Seeing as how he was already on track to get to my place after 9PM I told him not to bother stopping off at your place. Basic logic was to replace the most likely culprit (ignition module) and if that didn't help he could dig deeper into the diagnostics. That being said, I think it would still be good to hook up Rovergauge on our road trip on Friday to see if anything funky is going on while running up the highway.

On a separate note, I was reminded once again that my wife really loves me as I did not even get a remark from her this morning about Jason and I revving his engine at midnight!
What Jeff said. Now, of course there is the distinct possibility that the next time I see her she may walk straight up to me, not say a word, and slap me across the face. Just saying...

I still want to do some more test drives/etc to make sure, as the problem has been intermittent at periods in the past. But as Jeff said, definitely running 3 hours of Rovergauge on Friday during the ride.

One other thing that recently dawned on me, which may have pointed to the fuel pump NOT being the issue. During some of the stalls there was the rich mixture / strong fuel smell. If it was a fuel delivery issue (ie pump) then I would think there would not have been this strong fuel smell since the pump would - in theory - not be delivering fuel. Just a thought in retrospect.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:26 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Lesson learned, go genuine when you do a tune up!
Go Mallory (dizzy)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	66180  
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think to run the Mallory cap you need the Mallory dist...

Had another successful test run today of probably 40 minutes or so, no issues. For posterity, my talks with Tony Brooks he had the same/similar issue with his '94 that took years to nail down. Apparently in his case, he had replaced the Ignition Amplifier Module several times, and ultimately what ended up being the cause was the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator was actually bad, and was spiking and sending surges to the ignition amp module...in turn frying it. Don't think this is the case with mine, but certainly something to watch (I believe he was using a rebuilt Magnet Morelli alt whereas I'm running the Delco CS130 and from my talks with the alternator shop it's slim chance having that with the Delco).

I had pulled my alternator and had it load tested during the course of the above troubleshooting, and it *tested* ok but it's something that I'm going to keep an eye on going forward. If another of these ignition amp modules goes bad, I'm going to: a) have the volt reg on the alternator replaced preemptively, b) buy the ignition amp relocation kit from AB http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1856.cfm which I plan on doing anyway at some point in the future, just didn't have time now before the trip this weekend.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecr