Sudden decrease / loss of power, bucking, stalling, etc - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2013, 08:27 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
sounds like water in the fuel
I'm on my 2nd tank of gas, both from Shell stations (the first from the same station I get gas from 90% of the time).

But I'll put a little of the Heet stuff in there when I change the filter again just to be sure.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 08:58 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

don't drive yourself nuts.. ..Start with the basics ...check battery connections , do battery load test ,do alternator load test and this happens when the truck is at operating temp and when under load ... it is very possible the fuel pump is braking down after a while it heats up and can not sustain the pressure required ... 1st step ck fuel pressure tape the gauge to the window and go for a ride watch it when the truck begins to loose power that will rule out fuel pump , Then move on to the ignition again when the module heats up it starts to brake down and will not trigger the coil ...get your self a inline tester and a old lead make a long lead from the plug to tester hang out the fender so you can see it flashing then go for a ride .... take your time and you'll find the problem .. good luck i'm always available for ?s
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:26 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Partially clogged cat?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
My money is on

A - Cats
B - O2 sensor

My red did it and was the cats
My Di did it and were the before sensors
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
You would get that tell tail coffee can sound if the cat(s) were bad and I don't think it would be interment or bad enough to make the motor stop. Easy way to check the O2 sensors and/or bad cat, compare the inlet temperatures. If one cat is smoking hot (say north of 500), the upstream O2 sensor is bad and causing that bank to run too rich. If one cat is really cool (say south of 375), that cat is partially blocked.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
were you able to try the carb cleaner?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
were you able to try the carb cleaner?
Got sidetracked with another car project today, needed to get that wrapped up and out of the garage so I could get the 90 back in. Maybe tomorrow or this weekend I'll be able to start the diagnostic. I will definitely keep everyone posted on my tests/progress.

The real pisser here is so far it's seemed to take about an hour or so before the symptoms would "appear" (which, so far rovertek's explanation does sit well with me). But I'm going to rule out the simple stuff first (air leak, swap ECU, etc) and then progress.

The other kicker is they put down about 1/2" of salt around here (for 1/2" of snow), so I've kind of got to let that stuff get off the roads before I take the 90 out (I'm a little bit of a bitch when it comes to salt...as Barry said, I drive the "go anywhere vehicle that I can't drive in winter").

The ultimate irony of course is that my sh*tbox has tons of dents/etc, but no rust and I'll take some trail rash over rust any day of the week.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:40 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
You would get that tell tail coffee can sound if the cat(s) were bad and I don't think it would be interment or bad enough to make the motor stop. Easy way to check the O2 sensors and/or bad cat, compare the inlet temperatures. If one cat is smoking hot (say north of 500), the upstream O2 sensor is bad and causing that bank to run too rich. If one cat is really cool (say south of 375), that cat is partially blocked.
When my friends cats went on her car a couple years ago there was no noise. It would loose power when you steeped on th gas.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
unless this is a intermittent blockage ... it wouldn't cause bucking ...
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

It's already been mentioned but I would look seriously at your ignition amplifier. If takes an hour for the symptoms to appear that would be just long enough for heat to affect the amplifier. I've had the same thing happen to me. It didn't just fail and not start but would cause a loss of power etc once it got hot.
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just an update, but today I:
1) changed the fuel filter (Napa Gold #3481)
2) cleaned the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
3) added a bottle of Heet Iso Antifreeze fuel treatment (in case there was water in the fuel, but doubt it)

Quick test drive no issues, but honestly it can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes for the symptoms to come. Will try to do a longer drive tonight or tomorrow. Also scored an ECU from Galpin, so that will be next on the list if the symptoms persist.

After that, will try other items suggested (Inertia Switch, Ignition amplifier module, VSS, and then last but not least the fuel pump...which I'm going to get a Carter pump P74006 and try to rebuild mine using that pump).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Jason,

I recently had the same issues on my 94 nas. Changed alt, relays, ignition mod, stepper motor, fuel filter & had no luck really. Was at the point where i was just gonna carb the damn thing. Then i put a new gound cable from napa, & ran it to a bolt on the cross member, & one fron the block to the frame, & voila! Fixed! Cost me $35 for the cable.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
Jason,

I recently had the same issues on my 94 nas. Changed alt, relays, ignition mod, stepper motor, fuel filter & had no luck really. Was at the point where i was just gonna carb the damn thing. Then i put a new gound cable from napa, & ran it to a bolt on the cross member, & one fron the block to the frame, & voila! Fixed! Cost me $35 for the cable.
Not a bad idea, I changed the ground strap on the 110 awhile back...I'll check it on the 90 tomorrow and if it looks at all suspect I'll swap it out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 1st, 2013, 02:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Just an update, but today I:
1) changed the fuel filter (Napa Gold #3481)
2) cleaned the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
3) added a bottle of Heet Iso Antifreeze fuel treatment (in case there was water in the fuel, but doubt it)

Quick test drive no issues, but honestly it can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes for the symptoms to come. Will try to do a longer drive tonight or tomorrow. Also scored an ECU from Galpin, so that will be next on the list if the symptoms persist.

After that, will try other items suggested (Inertia Switch, Ignition amplifier module, VSS, and then last but not least the fuel pump...which I'm going to get a Carter pump P74006 and try to rebuild mine using that pump).
Stalled 3 times on the 20 minute test drive, first one had a strong "fuel smell". The way it's acting still very strongly suspecting the fuel pump, but next round going to plug in the new ECU and grab an Inertia Switch and Ignition Amplifier Module from Galpin tomorrow morning (hopefully) to test those first.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Stalled 3 times on the 20 minute test drive, first one had a strong "fuel smell". The way it's acting still very strongly suspecting the fuel pump, but next round going to plug in the new ECU and grab an Inertia Switch and Ignition Amplifier Module from Galpin tomorrow morning (hopefully) to test those first.
sounds like an air leak to me ... did you do the carb cleaner thing?
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
sounds like an air leak to me ... did you do the carb cleaner thing?
Crikey I knew I was forgetting to test something. Plenum looked good when I remove to clean MAF. I'm guessing hit around there with the carb cleaner - where else?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Crikey I knew I was forgetting to test something. Plenum looked good when I remove to clean MAF. I'm guessing hit around there with the carb cleaner - where else?
the pipe that connects the maf to plenum is where I had problems ... it kept coming loose.

The pipework on the side of the plenum around the idle valve is also worth looking at.
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jason, is the fuel gauge working properly?
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Jason, is the fuel gauge working properly?
Yes fuel gauge is working properly.

Became convinced it was the pump (as when the tank was less full the issue became more prominent...assuming that as the pump was not being cooled since it wasn't submersed and was amplifying the issue). Anyhow, decided to cut right to the chase and pull the pump - with 97k on the truck, it was probably due anyhow.

Tank is down, pump is out. Picked up the Carter pump (and new fuel sock/strainer at Napa), plan to finish replacement tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4105307560.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	65734   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3397237413.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	65735  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Very Nice! I hope you didnt find the junk in your tank that I found in mine!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20120708-00356.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	65737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120708-00355.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	65738  

Name:	IMG-20120708-00357.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	65739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120708-00358.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	65740  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecr