Subwoofer under the Defender seat? Successful Feedback? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:12 AM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Exclamation Subwoofer under the Defender seat? Successful Feedback?

Looking to find out if anyone has installed a sub under the passenger seat of a defender. In the lid of the storage box. I'm not into taking up space with an ugly speaker box.
I have seen images on google of this being done.
- does it rattle? Is the sound good
- is it too much for the passenger?
- 8, 10 or 12"? (I don't need to blow the windows out)

Some people prefer no stereo in a defender, But when I'm on the trails, with fellow off-road buddies in the back seats, We love some good music. Currently I have Alpine type-r 6.5 in the Muduk rear panels (possible with some cutting, looks clean), type-s 5.25 in the Center console sides, and 5.25 type-r components under the dash (tip, I recommend avoiding door speakers if you off-road)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:16 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i have. but recently in my most current defender i had a smaller 8 inch sub install in the center console. it was a JL sub and worked great. you could almost "not figure out where it was located". a good balance.

i installed it in a 97 d90 soft-top.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:23 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

D90boy. That sounds like a fantastic idea. Any chance you could shoot us some pics of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:39 AM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
That's a good spot, on the back of the Center console. I'm worried my cubby box lid will bounce, plus I have two 5.25 speakers in the sides, which may interfere. Adding a port to the console (air hole) I guess would solve this. Perhaps Better than butchering the seat base lid.

Is the 8" the best size? Is there room for a 10?
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
sadly i sold the truck so i cant take photos now.
it was a simple square box with a 8" JL sub.
it was under the "pocket" in the console, so it was not exposed or out in the open.
there was no port hole drilled either. an 8 inch was small enough that it probably did not need it.
it was also firing downwards, not upwards so it did not rattle anything
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:30 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

I have one under the passenger seat.

It's an 8" flat type powered one.

I first lined the entire box with a dynamat type substance. I used a thicker type foam dynamat for the lid and filled the rest of the cavity with a super thick (like three-four inches) foam.

I'm very happy with it.

No rattling and makes a huge difference and is balanced (depending on recording). I also upgraded the other four speakers and spent a lot of time messing with the crossover frequency to get the best result. Only thing lacking is a real mid bass punch that you can't get out of the door speakers for obvious reasons (too shallow and the flimsy door cards).

------ Follow up post added February 23rd, 2016 07:33 PM ------

BTW

No need to butcher seat box lid - bass is omni directional - you don't need to "see" a subwoofer to hear it.

And no complaints (or compliments) from passengers.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:36 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
i could have a 36-inch subwoofer under the seat and still not hear it
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:59 AM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
I thought this was an interesting box design. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...fer-67249.html

Enclosure appears too small for the driver in the photo but the enclosure design appears to have a decent amount of volume. The depth would permit a standard (non-flat) subwoofer which are not as power hungry as the flat design like the JL TW series drivers.

I have the driver below in a station wagon, and had it in a Jeep JL audio center console "stealthbox" subwoofer box. One of these up front would do the trick, and sealed it needs 1.25 cu.ft. There would be some heat/resonance issues, but both very easily solved.

12W3v3-4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W3v3 - JL Audio

Plop a JL Audio HD900/5 or an Alpine PDX under the passenger seat and you are off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, defender