Subwoofer install under passenger seat with speakers facing upwards - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
seattlejanzen
Ryan Janzen
1997/Defender SW

Subwoofer install under passenger seat with speakers facing upwards

Hello folks,

I just recently put in a new Deck and 4 speakers in my 97 SW and i was driving home the other day and I was wondering how i could mount a subwoofer without cutting any visible holes in the vehicle. All of sudden i thought why not cut a 6-8" hole in that black piece of metal that covers the compartment under the paseenger seat and mount the speaker pointing upwards (towards the butt of the passenger). It would be super easy to run the wires and i guess i could throw some filler in there and call it good.

Wouldn't that be easy or am i missing something? I know subwoofers in home theaters can often be hidden by furniture due to the fact that the low tones can pass through objects easily.

I'm also assuming i'd need to cut another hole in that same black metal to let air escape?

I searched these forums for the word "subwoofer" and it doesn't look like anyone has done this before...the closest thing i read was to cut a hole in the compartment just behind where the passengers calves would be but i'd rather not cut into that metal and carpet.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

First of all you have an ecu relay for the rough road sensors in there, plus its also used for stowage so you'd have to make sure you don't need to get in there that often. Second I would imagine a 10 inch sub would fit, perhaps a 12 inch but it certainly would rattle the shit out of that piece of metal, you'd have to replace with MDF and seal it good. Every sub requires a specific amount of cubic inches in air space to work properly, unless it was a sub designed for sealed boxes with little or no air space. Porting the space is possible but IMO is not worth it just for booming bass. I had this same dilemna a few years ago, what I did was replace the entire middle cubby box with a custom made one that copies the original and that houses an 8 inch JL sub. Of course there is no storage except for the two cup holders. I just recently bolted a key operated gun safe to the back to keep my registration etc. If you want to do it the economy way, just buy a JL box and throw it in the back or buy a door mounted sub from RDS. At least you won't devalue the truck by cutting into those hard to find panels.

Neil
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Instead of cutting holes in the covers you have, sell them to the guys here that are missing theirs, buy something heavier and go for it. You wont have to cut any holes for venting since the seat boxes are not remotely air-tight. They arent really weather-tight either, so you might even want to put some of those foam speaker protector things (crutchfield sells them) behind your speakers. Other than that, it seems like a perfectly good place for a subwoofer to me.

You will still need to get the covers off for battery access and stuff, so you might want to get seat risers from LenB so that the cover with the speaker on it will actually slide out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Ryan,

I assume you plan to rattle your passenger a$$ and not your own...

1.) I dont believe the metal piece that you want to mount the Subwoofer to is rigid enough.

2.) Depending on the type of subwoofer you purchase will depend on if you need enclosure with a hole. I would stick with a subwoofer type that doesn't require you drilling holes in the Defender. Maybe even consider a Marine grade sub. JL Audio makes a nice one.

Ade
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Ryan~
I just put a pretty serious stereo in the D90 last month. I thought about your idea too but needed room to hide the amp and wiring. I will shoot some pictures over the weekend but what I did was had a custom box made that holds 4 7" woofers behind the console. Its carpeted grey just like the sides of a wagon...the beauty is all the amps and wiring are in the seatbox and the sub box is such low profile that you can fold the seat in a SW down without interference. Thought this might be a viable alternative...the 4 7"s sound about as good as a pair of decent 10"s or a single very nice 12.

Christian
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Like Neil, I also have an 8" Sub in my center console. I think it works and sounds great. I just had a local stereo shop frame out the inside of the original console to mount the sub.

KA
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:05 AM
KeithElisa
Keith Parkin
97 D90 SW

Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TND90
Like Neil, I also have an 8" Sub in my center console. I think it works and sounds great. I just had a local stereo shop frame out the inside of the original console to mount the sub.

KA

Iím planning on upgrading the stereo system in my 97 SW and I would like to include a subwoofer. I like the idea of having it tucked away. Do you have any photos of your center console install? I would love to see how you did it.
Thanks,
Keith
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I've mentioned this before...

get one or two Bazooka tubes and tuck them behind the rear folding seats. That's it. Self-contained and you can move them elsewhere if you like. A couple of 6-inch tubes is plenty. If not then buy four, two per side.

If you're doing four, wire each side in parallel if using 8-ohm ones or in series if 4-ohm.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:05 AM
KeithElisa
Keith Parkin
97 D90 SW

Bazooka tub

I was looking at the Bazooka BTA6100 its 6 -1/2 inches. I would imagine it would fit behind the back seats. Iím just looking for a little bit of base not anything crazy. Thanks for your reply.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Then the 6.5-inch Bazooka is perfect for you. I am like you - not a ghetto blaster. In all honesty, this size is about the minimum to make it worthwhile.

The underseat idea is also good but your passenger may not like the bass hitting his/her butt. If this isn't an issue, then just use silicone to seal it up and prevent any resonances - you will get some.

I do not like using up the center console space for a sub. Sure it works but I needs my space.

With the Bazooka you get flexibility and not have to worry about resonanxes or installation - assuming you can run a few wires!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
seattlejanzen
Ryan Janzen
1997/Defender SW

Hey guys,

thanks for all your suggestions!

I actually really like the idea of a 6.5 bazooka behind the back seat(s) but i just measured the space and there is only about 4 inches of space between the body and the back of the seats (or at least the bracket that holds the seats in place). Therefore, i don't think it would fit as the minimum width of the 6.5 bazooka is 6 7/8"

just to be certain, are yourefering to the 97 SW rear "sideways facing" folding jump seats? If so, do you have any pictures of a 6.5 bazooka fitting in there?

thanks again for your help!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'll buy the covers if you are selling them.

I have a Kenwood Woox sub mounted to the passenger side, next to the rear door (above the speaker enclosure). Fits perfectly and is nice enough (as in another option for you).
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The newer Bazookas have tha thump on one side for the ven which makes them bulkier. i recall the old (first ?) ones were very compact without that hump - the vent simply led to the rear.

Also, perhaps look into a passive tube subwoofer and use a separate amp.

Also, try two 4-inch subs in series.

Also, try a better full range speaker. Getting a main speaker that goes down to 35-40Hz does the same thing. Just get one with enough power handling as more bass needs more power.

Consider this: the Bose 4-inch drivers (like in the 901 home speakers) produce excellent bass because of their equalizer. They also handle a lot of power. This allows them to be placed in very cramped spaces (in a car) and still produce great sound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, speakers