stupid queston, Cleaning my engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

stupid queston, Cleaning my engine

Being a bit uptight about things I am thinking about hosing down my engine to clean off all the road and trail scum. I know better than to shoot water straight onto the distributer cap, but I was thinking of spraying some engine bright on the sucker and taking a hose to her. Any other thoughts I should be concerned about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

FWIW, I just sprayed the dist cap and everything else hard with water from the garden hose and then used an engine cleaner, followed by another douse with water. It always starts right up for me. I hear of people doing this and then beign unable to start their cars and all that, but I guess I'm just lucky. Also, when you go through water, you get your dist cap sprayed, that's why it gets all muddy.

YMMV, of course and if you blow up your engine it's not my fault and all that. You can use WD40 to help start, too.
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:55 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Yeah Rick, you shouldn't have any trouble. I get a lot of skipping and mis-firing when my engine gets wet, either on the trail from water, or like today when I was hosing down the radiator. it's always starts, just runs poorly for a few minutes. My truck is the exception though, it really doesn't like water. Most of the time you'll be fine.

Quote:
if you blow up your engine it's not my fault and all that
Nice... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Unlike most cars these days, there really isn't that many electronics under the hood. The entire ignition system consists of just the distributor and coil. The amplifier and everything is part of the distributor, similar to the older GM HEI system. The EFI electronics are all inside the passenger compartment other than the sensors and injectors. The only spots to really be careful about is the distributor and the amplifier that is bolted to the side of it, as well as the Mass Air sensor.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I've always left it running when I clean the engine, don't quite know why, just always heard you should. I could absolutely be just a lucky idiot, but as another on this site says, my $0.02.
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
jabber
m j

I'd be a little worried about water getting sucked into the intake if I sprayed the engine bay down while running!! I've never had a problem shutting her down and spraying it... She starts right up.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, I'd more recommend that it be off and cool when you wash it. Getting water onto hot cast-iron and aluminum can possibly stress the hell out of the metal.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

That's why we always turn our trucks off and let them cool completely down before a river crossing

I don't think even glass would break from a temperature drop of 100

Think about driving through a puddle - you get cold water splashed all over the exhaust, which is likely the hottest part of the whole system, and it doesn't stress enough to break before it rusts from ordinary corrosion.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I will probably give this a whirl tonight. So based on what I have heard is is best to drain the oil, start the engine rev the motor to just below redline for about 30 minutes, and spray water directly into the air intake and really hose down the dist cap and electronics next to it. Afterwards I should contact my attorney "the Texas Hammer" and track each one of you down!!

Just kidding. No need for disclaimers. I realize I am responsible for my own stupid ideas. Thanks for the advise and help.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

For a variation, you can use sugar water just in case anything combusts inside your engine!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine