Stupid Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Stupid Question

So, all you with electric winches. How/where did you get long enough wires to get back to the battery. The ones that came with my winch are too short. Thanks!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Make new ones.

You're right...it's a stupid question.

You can get various guages of welding wire from your local welding supply house. They probably also have the proper terminal ends.

When I first started doing large guage wiring we kind of cheated it, then I got tired of the half-assed results. Bought the NICE terminal crimper (6-sided mil-spec), a heat shrink gun, good shrink tubing, etc...

If you can find the length of cables and sizes and terminal sizes you want, I could make them for you here and ship 'em.

It's really very easy if you have the right tools, but if you don't it's kind of a PITA.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

David,

I am looking at this from Warn for my winch, but it may solve your problem as well. Haven't priced it yet though.

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessorie...nect_all.shtml

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Ironically I took that picture for Warn.

You can make those too, simple as doing regular cables.

Check out www.wranglernw.com

They have all the wiring supplies you could want, are great guys to deal with (their location was like 3 blocks from my home in Portland), and will take the time to answer stupid questions.

I used to go there and rummage through the back rooms checking out all the cool stuff. Then they told me I couldn't anymore.

But, still great stuff, decent prices and will help you do the job right.

They have the identical Warn quick disconnect plugs, but with a different logo embossed on them (the same company makes the Warn ones...both interchangeable), and also some smaller sizes.

Check out my site and go to the trailer page and you can see some of the smaller disconnects.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
You're right...it's a stupid question.
How dare you! I just might take you up on that. I will have measurments shortly. Best to do it right the first time. The other option seems good too but I would just rather have a solid connection. Thanks guys!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Dave

I highly recommend Wrangler! It's where I buy all my heavy-duty wire supplies. But if you're up to the task you can build your own disconnects for your winch as Mike suggested. Go to http://www.andersonpower.com/products/mp/sb.html have a look around their site.

Mike

You used to live a few blocks away from Wrangler? Isn't that under the I-5 overpass? Man, now I know why your selling the 145!!!
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

4216 N. Michaigan was our old address. You should drive by sometime and check it out.

Wrangler has the quick connects that Anderson has, but Anderson has MANY that Wrangler doesn't have (make sense?).

That 3-way is sick!
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Extra long cables (black and red, not ground) came with my ARB bumper, fwiw.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Extra long cables (black and red, not ground) came with my ARB bumper, fwiw.
So your willig to deal with an ARB bumper just for longer cables!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Another option is West Marine. They have all the cables (in bulk so you can cut to any length), terminals, and shrink tubing. They even have a crimper there you can use (San Diego store) although it's probably not as nice as Mike's Mil-Spec crimper. The only thing you then need to do at home is shrink the tubing on.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Those ARB cables are junk. The wire is cheap and the terminals are terrible.

Oh, and I love ARB...BTW.

:D
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Ryan,

Thanks! I did not know you were in Escondido, I just looked, I am in San Marcos! Thanks for the tip, when are we hitting the trail together?

edit: I am just jostlin ya on the ARB!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Maybe some day if I ever stop working on my truck

I'm right near the 78 and 15 so not far from San Marcos. It's funny I haven't seen your truck around since I drive around San Marcos quite often. I'd like to check out all the work you've done. We can compare diesels (mine's a 6.5). Anyway, let me know where you're at.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Mike

Oh! You're on the other side of I-5. For some reason I thought you were in NW Portland over in the hills. Anyway, I have quite a few of the Anderson products. I built an fuse/relay system for all of my electrical accessories (GPS, CB, Extra 12V-Outlet, Lamps, etc.) and used Andersons PowerPak Kit to produce some nice clean quick-disconnects: (http://www.connex-electronics.com/?u...e/pp_main.html).

They're pretty flexible in terms of inlet/outlet capacity and if you prefer you can color code the terminals to help eliminate any connection mishaps. I bought mine from Connex-Conncetions (http://www.connex-electronics.com/?u...e/pp_main.html). The only caveat with this system of connection is the installation. You have to manually solder, crimp, & connect each latch yourself. If you're not comfortable with the "some assembly required" then this really isn't the best avenue. Nonetheless, I'm extremely happy with them.

DJ

Hmm, I just realized that I might have "highjacked" this thread. Sorry, I forgot what sub-forum I was in.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm right off the 78 and San Marcos BLVD behind Polomar J.C. I am going to be working on it most of the weekend. I am close to being finished with it. I can see the finish line! Are you telling me you stuck a 6.5L in your Defender?? I don't doubt you havn't seen me driving, it doesn't see a lot of road time. Mainly to the trail and back again. Plus it has been down for a long time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Yeah, the 6.5 took about a year out of my life - very long story.

PM me your address, and maybe I'll stop by this weekend. You can see my 110 while I check out all the cool stuff you've done to your truck.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Ryan

Are you the "lone" buyer of the infamous 6.5L with NV4500 kit from one Mr. Clark Willaims?

DJ
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Hard to say "buyer" because he actually never delivered a kit. I ended up making all the custom pieces. But yes, I was the intended guinea pig.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I understand. After that incident I haven't heard from Clarke in quite some time. He used to come up to Portland, with his 110 of course, for the Memorial Day meet.

At least you've go that power-plant in! It must be nice.

DJ
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

It's nice to have some power and decent fuel mileage. The disappointing part is that I'm on my third NV4500 (all new). They've been replaced under warranty but that doesn't cover the hassle of removing and replacing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions