Stupid cooler questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Stupid cooler questions

Are radiators and oil coolers really any different other than capacity? I read some oil coolers have some sort of value to block flow until the oil warms up (like a thermostat) but I think this is an advanced feature.

I need to find a small cooler for my electric 109 project and want to make sure I don't get the wrong thing. If anyone has suggestions, it would need to be something like the tranny cooler on a 97 D90 or a little 5x8 jobbie (1/2 ports).

tia
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Oil coolers are designed to dissipate lower amounts of heat per unit time and operate at much higher pressures than radiators.

Water Radiators are designed to dissipate more than 4 times the heat of oil coolers. This is why radiators have huge amounts of surface area compared to oil coolers.

The question is, what liquid are you cooling? If water, you need a radiator. If oil, you can get away with using an oil cooler. However, if you use an oil cooler for electric motor cooling then you are operating at a quarter of the efficiency of using a real radiator.
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Water/coolant.

The truth is I don't know how much cooling it needs but assume anything is better than nothing. So what would you do if you needed a small radiator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Water/coolant.

The truth is I don't know how much cooling it needs but assume anything is better than nothing. So what would you do if you needed a small radiator?
Get one from ebay for a 1100 or 1300cc bikes like a Suzuki Hayabusa, Honda CBR1100, or other water cooled motorcycle.

If they are too big, then look at the 600cc bikes

motorcycle parts are an awesome source of everything you need for smaller versions of automobile parts. This is very commonly done on locosts and will save you lots of money.
Used parts are plentiful because several thousand Americans die on them a year and over 120,000 non-fatal motorcycle injuries are treated per year, and each injury usually corresponds to one messed up bike.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions