studded tires: who uses them? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

studded tires: who uses them?

just got my defender this summer and have been driving on ice and snow for about a month now with no problems.(almost got hit by an expedition today that was sliding out of control around a corner but i dont count that against me) i have BFG MT 255/85's on right now. this will be my 15th winter here in anchorage and i have always used studded tires for the winter even when i had a disco. right now i'm not feeling the need for studs and am considering going without this year. what do you other guys in cold weather climes do? i will not be offroading in the winter just need good traction. my neighborhood has gravel roads with a few fairly steep spots. its not unusual after a thaw/freeze for two wheel drive vehicles not to be able to get up here.(neighborhood called stuckagain heights for good reason)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I have two sets for my RRC: BFG MT's, which as you know, suck in the snow. I also have BFG AT's, which are siped. They do ok in snow.

I just put Michelin X-Ice xi2's on my wife's 2008 Outback. Haven't really had a chance to test them yet, but with subaru AWD and these new shoes, should be really confident in snow and ice.

Most people get Blizzaks or Nokians here. I just dont drive my RRC enough to justify winter only tires.
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Proper winter tires are your best bet. Studs help on pure ice, but for everything else a non studded winter tire is about the same. I run winter tires on all of my cars and some are studded and some are not, so this is from personal experience. I would never drive an all season on snow again. The only downside to studs is noise on dry pavement and added cost.

As you've found, traditional style MT tires like those are very poor in the winter.

In Anchorage, it would be worth it to have a set of winter tires. In addition to tread design, the compounding handles the low temperatures much better.

For the Defender, I would suggest the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT with or without stud depending on your choice.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...kkapeliitta+LT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	15966  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

how about chains for when it gets really bad?
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

i always used nokian hakkepelittas before and have been happy with them so i guess i'll get another set. might as well get them studded so i can see just how loud the road noise can get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires