stuck wheel bearing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

stuck wheel bearing

The damn inner bearing is rusted onto the stub axle. I got the hub off but can't make the inner bearing budge. I'm about ready to try an bunch of M80s to knock it loose. Any thought? I don't think a puller will work with the open axle shaft.
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Use a puller. I would put something over the axle hole for the puller to go against. Or you can cut the outer shell off and remove the rollers then heat the inner piece with a torch.. It should just come off then with a little tapping of a hammer
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yup, what randy said. Or you can use a thin cutoff wheel to carefully slice the bearing race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Use a puller. I would put something over the axle hole for the puller to go against. Or you can cut the outer shell off and remove the rollers then heat the inner piece with a torch.. It should just come off then with a little tapping of a hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

You can borrow/rent a puller from Autozone or someplace similar. I had a stuck bearing on a different vehicle similar to what you describing and a slidehammer did the trick.
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Gentlemen check your bearings . Had mine checked last week and all bearings had rust . The D90 has new bearings and greased with marine lube all around and is driving tighter and a little quieter .
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:02 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

In my experience after you pack them drive the truck for a week and then check them again. a week or so lets the greese settle and move around in there and they can become loose again. Because the initial packing you may think the washer and nut are tight because the grease is packed in there all tight and hasn't made its way into the bearings and hub yet to settle.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Did you check you bearings on the streets of alphabet city?

Marine lube? I was using multi-purpose synthetic grease. Any differences?

Just to refresh my memory, the inner axle nut you just snug up but the outer one you really wrench on, right?

Do I need to change the Races? It's such a bitch to hammer those out
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A machine shop will sometimes change the races while you wait. I don't like drifting them out because its so easy to mar the inner surface of the hub, and stuff like that drives me nuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Did you check you bearings on the streets of alphabet city?

Marine lube? I was using multi-purpose synthetic grease. Any differences?

Just to refresh my memory, the inner axle nut you just snug up but the outer one you really wrench on, right?

Do I need to change the Races? It's such a bitch to hammer those out
i've changed my front bearing on the street before. People look but whatever. Its great too because you can go to the bar like 4 feet from you and get drunk while your truck sits there with its wheels off.

Use Marine or Mobil one grease. I have used cheap grease in the past and it didn't turned out too well. put the large seal washer in snug up next to the bearings, then the inner nut (tighten it down but not too much. the hub should still move back and forth easy, but don't make it too loose), tab washer, outer nut, fold tabs over inner and outer nut. Change the races if you can. use a big hammer and soft drift and give it one good tap. You need help? i can come over and help you out, I've done them so many times its like second nature to me.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Stephen, I had a similar problem the inner bearing failed due to water ingress, it sized and spun the inner race against the stub axle and friction welded itself there.

there was a real bad screeching noise for 5 mins and then it was gone, i then found i was unable to remove the hub cause the inner bearing was sized.!
anyway I smashed up bearing with hammer & small chisle cut through 99% of inner race with laser disc in grinder then gave the inner race a sharp tap with a cold chisle and it came off.
I cleaned off stub axle & refitted new bearings with the intention of replacing the stub axle when I had more time but it was still there 6 years later.

To prevent that happening again I used Amsol water resistant grease it's twice the price of my normal grease but it does not absorb water at all. top stuff.!
I use it for everthing now.

regards

Gren

regards

Gren
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Seems I need to upgrade my grease. Everything in there was rusted solid. Then again, it's the original job from the factory, never opened up the rear hubs before. Guess that's what I get.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I've never seen a set rust out... How did you know there was a problem?

Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

There started be this intermittent noise and a mild vibration going around corners. I noticed that it was worse when the wheel was weighted. I had a bearing fail a couple years back on the highway and it was the same symptoms. It took a long 3/4 extension through the hub socket and my brother and I both yanking on it to break the outer nut loose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel