Stuck Sun Visor Fix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
1994 90 ST #1589
Stuck Sun Visor Fix

I'm not sure if this will help many people here or not, but figured there must be owners besides me that are in the same situation.
I realized after buying my 90 that the visors wouldn't budge. My first thought was to check the usual vendors for a replacement. Turns out they are more or less NLA. (I didn't know that acronym until I owned an NAS Defender.)
Mine looked fine, but the arms were frozen in the sleeves, so I decided to see if I could loosen them up.
The fix:

• Spray Seafoam Creep, Liquid Wrench, etc into each sleeve where the arms enter. Let them soak a few hours.
  • Place the visor on a bench with the end of one arm over the side.
  • Place a board on top of the visor so you can hold it still.
  • Clamp vice grips with a rag or other padding on the flat art of the arm and and torque away up and down.
  • If the arm doesn't give or starts to bend relube and give it more time.
  • If the arm is moving start pulling it out while turning. The two arms are separate and can pull out.
  • Clean the arms and soak in Ospho or something similar. I also sprayed cleaner into the sleeves.
  • Grease the arms and reassemble.
Seafoam Creep was also used to free up my passenger side door latch, seat belt buckle, dash vent handles, heater controls...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions