Stuck Half Shaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Stuck Half Shaft

After doing a search here on D90 and hearing what the local garage estimated. I decided to do the rear brakes, rotors, and seals. It looked like a had a broken seal as diff fluid was all over the inside back tire.

Started the job this morning and tried to pull the axle shaft out - got 6" out and stuck cannot move any further. It can go back in and engage where it turns the prop shaft. But just won't pull out any further. These axles should just slide all the way correct?

My guess is the bearing blew up and there is a piece of metal inside the tube - it's pretty messy and there is a busted metal ring piece that was inside the hub.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Don,

Yes, the axle shaft should easily slide all the way out. If the bearing is bad as you noted it is likely that the wheel end is no longer centered properly, so try moving the weel end up and down while pulling on the shaft to see if that allows the shaft to slide out. You may need to comeup with a makeshift slide hammer to tap it out also. You do need the shaft out to loosen the wheel bearing lock nuts and remove the wheel end.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Steve
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have spare everything for that axle if you need something in particular.

Personally, I would just pull harder (with a chain and another truck if need be).
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2009, 12:26 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks Ron and Steve. Ron, I did find some UK forums that said just that - to pull it out with another truck or winch so apparently it's not as crazy as it sounds. Thanks for the parts offer - I bought all the stuff for the hub - new bearings and seals but we'll see what the axle and housing looks like when I finally get it out.

Steve - will keep that in mind about moving the wheel - it was loose as hell when I pulled the caliper out of the way. Didn't think of keeping it straight - hopefully it's as simple as that.

After I didn't get anywhere with that one side so I put it back together, gave it a good cleaning and moved to the other side. That thankfully pulled no problem and I did the rotor, bearings, seal and brake pads. As noted on the other threads, it's not a tough job but pretty messy and takes a while. I took my time and cleaned everything nicely. At least now I know what the job involves and should move more quickly when I get back to the stuck side.

My plan tomorrow is to keep the wheel on and see if I can get a better pull. Then get a piece of scrap metal and drill 2 holes and make a "T" so I can spin it and pull. I'll try sticking a magnet to see if it will grab and pieces of that blown bearing which I am sure is in there. Went looking for a slide-hammer earlier but Lowes didn't have one might try the Napa and Sears tomorrow. If that all fails then I'll get a chain and hook it to the Suburban
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Yes, I was being serious.

Good luck.

Ron
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Yes, I was being serious.

Good luck.

Ron
After farting around with the some other thing and poor results, I hooked up the tow strap w/ a D-ring to the axle shaft then the other to our Yukon XL tow hitch. Nothing. I stopped when the back of the 90 was starting to slide. Arghhh.... Must be a bearing that got stuck in there and it's a battle of the metals. Might just give up and see what the local garge can do.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
you could try this technique:

http://www.jamilabbasy.com/galleries...5w3099_std.htm

flip through the pics to see what the axle looked like. truck had inexplicably stopped moving. they used hi lift combined with pounding on the drive flange to finally get it out.

if you try the suburban again, try it with the truck anchored to a sturdy tree. probably want to anchor the axle itself so you don't rip the axle out from under it.

also, if you can get the hub off by a few inches you may be able to pull the stub shaft. which may help if that is where it is getting hung up

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
After farting around with the some other thing and poor results, I hooked up the tow strap w/ a D-ring to the axle shaft then the other to our Yukon XL tow hitch. Nothing. I stopped when the back of the 90 was starting to slide. Arghhh.... Must be a bearing that got stuck in there and it's a battle of the metals. Might just give up and see what the local garge can do.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
hahaha, finally got that bish!

What worke: After staring at it and realizing the head of my sledge hammer could fit between the exposed axle and the steel wheel I started prying and realize I might be onto something. Then dug out the big pry with 2"x 6' pipe that I most recently used to pull 12" timber wall spikes. Used the sledge head for a spacer and started prying in a circle - wouldn't you know it pull right out.

One more benefit of having the Wolf steelies - wasn't stressing about the black finish and you can pull the axle with the wheel on. Now it's time to get those bearing and brakes done.

Thanks for the help and hopefully no one else runs into this PITA situation...
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Good job. Is the axle ok?
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Ren Ching - that's looks like a pretty good solution and I was trying to think what might work as sort of a reverse press. I didn't have that much space but my next step was to buy some bolts and nuts and have them push off the hub flange.

And thanks for the anchor tip. Didn't use it but that would be worth noting on the trail. One thing I was worried about was the axle finally giving way and come flying thru the back of the XL's window. The GMC site says our truck has 417 lb ft of torque and it was definitely working.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Good job. Is the axle ok?
Actually it looks fine - I'll clean it up good to make sure and then throw a flashlight in the tube and see what the hell was in there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions