Stuck Glow Plug - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:11 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Stuck Glow Plug

FML. In the process of removing the head during our emergent repair of my 300Tdi, we were following the workshop manual verbatim and it wanted us to remove the injectors and glow plugs. Josh (crash303) and I have never pulled the head on a Tdi before so we pulled them. However the 4th glow plug snapped in the head above the shoulder where the wrench goes now just spins, but the thread body and actual glow tip at the end are stationary.

So I have 2 questions....

1) Can I leave it in as is and continue our journey with the wiring disconnected? Will I lose compression on that cylinder?

2) Providing I force it out, is there a part number that I may be able to source a new one at an auto parts place without having to overnight something from Rovers North and losing another day of our trip to Alaska?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

as long as it is threaded in tight just leave it. Disconnect the glow plugs as you don't need them (until it gets fairly cold). Bad news is that often when these get stuck in the head (same for injectors) it will be hard to get them out without doing terminal damage to the head itself as in the threads for the plug may come out with it. Not something to go half ass on as the 300 is fairly high compression and the glow plug will become a projectile with considerable damage potential if it blows out. It will also do some considerable damage if it falls in....If you are confident that it will stay in the head just leave it until you get home then tear it down again. You'll have the job down to a couple of hrs next time!

On the head gasket bit.......make sure the head is not warped. 300's have very little tolerance for warpage and if discounted you will be wasting your time replacing the gasket. I have noted that the *older* style composite gasket (need to get the correct thickness) seems to tolerate more defects than the *latest style* all metal gaskets )(one size fits all)

Good luck with it and have a great trip. Wrenching is all a part of it !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:00 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
My 200 is running with a glow plug problem right now, and it just seems to smoke a bit extra and sputter a bit for the first couple of miles, then runs fine, with no smoke issues.
Just an observation, as I am by no means an expert.
You could have the glow plug sent to the ferry and fix it on the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
i would use vice grips to free it up and make sure i can easily remove it later, maybe even pull it and oil the threads then put it back in. if its the no 1 cylinder reinstall in no 2 as no 1 is too hard to get to once all back in ( at least on mine).

alternatively, replace with same length bolt to ensure it does not go down any farther than the plug itself and hv a glow pluh delivered enroute. easy to reinstall if not seized and accessible.

you don't need plug this time of year.

good luck! glad you didn't try to hobble on this trip! since this is first time you are doing a head job, the confidence you gain from this will be significant in the bush!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well, this is going to a machine shop to get fixed, mainly because if the threads strip we are going to need a helicoil put in anyway, plus he can check for warpage.

If anyone needs to source the glow plug, here are some cross reference numbers. The Bosch part number was a winner, I was able to get 4 plugs here in Silicon Valley in about 4 hours.

Beru: 0100 226 129
Bosch: 0 250 202 040
Delphi: HDS303
Mercedes Benz: 1500081
Land Rover: ETC8847
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Actually they make different size metal gaskets for the heads. The newest metal gaskets from Germany are the same part numbers but are actually a bit thinner than what the part number dictates. Do you know what size gasket you had? 1,2,3 or no hole? To find out what the correct size of the gasket, you will need to measure the piston protrusion on each piston in four spots. The largest number is the gasket you go for. The book says that you can re-use the head stretch bolts up to two more times? I replace mine. But in a pinch, and you can't get some, you can re-use what you have. I numbered the top of my bolts to make it easier in the tightening sequence. Remember to install the air cleaner bracket on those rear two head bolts before you start to tighten everything up.
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
i made the air cleaner bracket mistake my first time!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
I have a custom air box that doesn't tie to the head so I am ok there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions