Stuck door tops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Stuck door tops

Thought a search would pull something up, but.... I am trying to remove the door tops on my dad's '95 ST. He has owned it for about 3 yrs and they have never been off in that time. He did remove the nuts when he got it and replaced with the quick nuts off of his previous 90. Removed the quick nuts, but these tops are NOT moving. Tried tapping the bolt from underneath, and nothing. Also tried loosening liquid and nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I use a screw driver between the top and bottom and gently pry them apart.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
ctrover
jim larson
1984 v8 127

put an old nut on the very bottom of the bolt-same thread size-and give it a good whack with a sizeable hammer.The old nut will protect the bolt threads.Worked well on my old rusty series window tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
just be careful not to hit the the door skin when you do it. My series has a nice set of "bubbles" on the outside of the door when i did the same thing.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
just be careful not to hit the the door skin when you do it. My series has a nice set of "bubbles" on the outside of the door when i did the same thing.
Ditto, I made that mistake too. Place a piece of metal between the stud and the skin to protect it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Do not use a hammer directly on the door top studs...you will deeply regret it. Place a 2x4 under the stud and tap on it. Alternate between studs so the door top does not get cocked...

When you re-install it, spray waxoyl 120-4 or use axle grease on the studs to prevent further rusting...

Good luck...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Take the studs out. Put two nuts on the stud and loosen them up. I wouldn't do any of that prying stuff. You'll just chip your paint or dent your skins (both of which I did and neither worked anyway).
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Take the studs out. Put two nuts on the stud and loosen them up. I wouldn't do any of that prying stuff. You'll just chip your paint or dent your skins (both of which I did and neither worked anyway).

What do you mean by taking them out Chris?
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

The door studs themselves are threaded into the door tops. The idea is to remove them from the bottom out so that the only thing holding the door top on then is the seal.

What I would do is hit up on the door top frame itself using a rubber mallet (so you don't dent the tracks). It seems like a less likely place to damage anything by hitting- no door dents but you have to be careful about the glass tracks.
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
What do you mean by taking them out Chris?
Exactly what Trae said. They're threaded into the door tops. Once you remove the studs, there's nothing holding the door top on anymore.

Once you have the door tops off, you can thread the studs back into the door tops. It's a much less destructive way of getting them off.

Follow-up Post:

Here's a thread about it... http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=stud+removal
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ahhh. Thanks guys. We will give that a try.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

also try a prybar.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old July 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
also try a prybar.
That will be next. Hell, it's not my 90...

Also, being as lazy as I can, does anyone happen to know the nut size?
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
15mm I think. Either 15 or 17.

And slide a putty knife between the seal and the door top to separate the two. Its amazing how well that seal with adhere the door top to the door when its stuck.

Old July 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

17mm feels right. I'd have to look. Just took mine off yesterday.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

I used wooden shims from Home Depot. After removing the nuts from the studs, I started at one end and tapped the shim in between the shim and the door bottom using a rubber mallet. Then I started another sim a couple of inches further up...and so on and so forth.

Do NOT use a piece of string and try to pull it through the door and the seal. It leaves unsightly marks in the paint that don't buff out.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Good idea with the shims Adam. I just happen to have some. That soft wood will probably not do any damage either?
We have not had a chance to work too hard on it, but my dad just retired down here from TN and really wants them off. He plans to keep it topless in the garage and actually start using it (currently has 15k miles). For all we know the tops have never been taken off...
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

This is so funny - I did the same thing everyone else did - go slow and careful and use lubrication. My fav is Triflow that I get at the mountain bike shop.
But once you do get the door tops off, my question to you and all, how did (and to you Burke how will you) get the plastic slieves back into the tunnels where the bolts go for when the tops go back on? Mine do not fit, I even bought replacements from RN and still can not get them into place. Right now I jut put the tops back on without them but they do wobble a bit.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
This is so funny - I did the same thing everyone else did - go slow and careful and use lubrication. My fav is Triflow that I get at the mountain bike shop.
But once you do get the door tops off, my question to you and all, how did (and to you Burke how will you) get the plastic slieves back into the tunnels where the bolts go for when the tops go back on? Mine do not fit, I even bought replacements from RN and still can not get them into place. Right now I jut put the tops back on without them but they do wobble a bit.
Interesting.... When messing with my dad's 90 I thought there was a difference from the doors on my '94. I do not have the sleeves either (and never have)... I can get mine tightened down ok, but not all the way. I have been running for 14 years that way so I guess we are ok Paul
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I managed to dent the door from the inside out using a hammer on my 95 - definitely avoid it. It's the tacky rubber that has more or less glued itself. What I did with my 97 was take silicone lubricant and sprayed it at the rubber and let it sit. Then with the window slid open I applied upward pressure on the top of the door tops from the open portion of the window. Hold the pressure there for 30 seconds to a minute (yes it's hell on your back) but what I found it that it eventually will start to separate - ones it does you are golden. You may need to do that few times - you'll feel like nothings happening but then it should separate. Mine peeled the paint off a bit but better than damaging the aluminum doors.

Hutch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door tops