Stub axle bolt SIII - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Stub axle bolt SIII

I need one stub axle bolt which is a 7/16" BFT and no one seems to stock them. I have a complete transmission and t-case I am not going to use, any thoughts on where there might be one of these bolts used on either, before I dismantle them?

Also I am rebuilding my drum brakes and got an adjuster rebuild kit, but the cam wheel does not stick out far enough to catch the stud on the back of the shoe, anybody else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

George has the bolts. So do I but I'm wicked stingy unless you are in a total bind.

haven't had that problem with the brakes........I'd give it another try with all the parts backwards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Thanks Matt, I may have found a source right here in NY http://www.britishfasteners.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

When I was cutting off the old adjusters I noticed they were about 1/4" longer. I'll keep playing with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Oh yes, Brit fasteners. That's where I got the tap to fix all the broken off bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Stub axle bolts are through bolts with a nut on the back. Unless you're doing a restoration, I'd just replace them 7/16-20 grade 8's.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I can send you one if you still need it. Never had any luck with the replacement adjusters, better to get new back plates and keep the adjusters lubed up. You can always weld a new cam onto the old adjuster if the snails are worn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourtney View Post
I need one stub axle bolt which is a 7/16" BFT and no one seems to stock them. I have a complete transmission and t-case I am not going to use, any thoughts on where there might be one of these bolts used on either, before I dismantle them?

Also I am rebuilding my drum brakes and got an adjuster rebuild kit, but the cam wheel does not stick out far enough to catch the stud on the back of the shoe, anybody else have this problem?
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I can send you one if you still need it. Never had any luck with the replacement adjusters, better to get new back plates and keep the adjusters lubed up. You can always weld a new cam onto the old adjuster if the snails are worn.
Let me tear my parts pin apart agin today and I'll let you know.

I wished I had noticed that before I cut all four off. I would have been better off just hitting them with PB and cleaning them up.

------ Follow up post added March 6th, 2010 12:48 PM ------

Found a bolt. There was bracket on the bottom of my 110 diff that supported the tie rod. I took that off a while back when I changed to larger RoverTracks tie rod. The tapped holes in the bottom of a rover third are the same as the stub axle.

Thanks for the advice Matt, if you install the spring on the inside of the backing plate instead of the outside like the original it lines up the cam with the adjustment stud.

Game back on!
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Stub axle bolts are through bolts with a nut on the back. Unless you're doing a restoration, I'd just replace them 7/16-20 grade 8's.
yup, that's what I'd do too if I was paying any attention to what I was talking about which I think may have been drive flange bolts, but I'm not sure about anything any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA140750.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	25570  

Old March 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
I missed this part before. I've used the adjuster kits and not had any issues. Maybe there are different make kits?

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
yup, that's what I'd do too if I was paying any attention to what I was talking about which I think may have been drive flange bolts, but I'm not sure about anything any more.
Actually I think you both are referring to swivel ball to axle tube, if that is what your showing in the picture. I was talking about stub axle to outer swivel housing which are not through bolts. Either way I found one.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
Actually I think you both are referring to swivel ball to axle tube, if that is what your showing in the picture. I was talking about stub axle to outer swivel housing which are not through bolts. Either way I found one.
Right, I was thinking rear axle. Ok, not having a good day here. LOL

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
that's too funny, as it is what I thought you were talking about in the first place.....then got distracted.

I should really just put the damn computer down and go twist bolts instead of talking about them. ......makes my wallet happier!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, siii