Stripped Transmission Filler-Plug - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Stripped Transmission Filler-Plug

Hello my D90 brothers...

It's been a while. Just had my 9th anniversary with my Defender...

I have been neglecting the vehicle by having someone else work on it. These IDIOTS in town called DERMEISTER... don't even get me started.

In any case... The head IDIOT mechanic tightened down the manual transmission (1995 NAS D90) filler plug to no end and when I went to check the fluids, like I have been doing for 9 years, give or take... I stripped it. I'm so pissed. I've never stripped an inside plug like that and I don't know how to get it out.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a new one.

Can anyone help in telling me how I can get that out? My mistake may have bee using an 8mm allen wrench... But it's been fine all this time.

Thank you.

norros
Nicholas Orros
Tallahassee, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM
CMS3900
Morgan
1974 SIII 109

did the allen part strip or did the threads strip? if the allen part stripped you have three decent options. First is put a nut over it and weld the inside of the nut to it and remove it. If you don't have acess to a welder, you will probably have to drill a hole through it and use a big easy out. Start with a high quailty drill bit and try it slow with coolant, if it dosen't cut a cheap trick is using a small masonry bit becuase its carbide tipped. Once you have a hole and a easy out it should come out. The third is if its proud of the transmission case you might be able to finesse it out with a small sharp chisel and a light hammer. a little heat might help too becuase aluminum expands alot faster than steel.
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

If there is enough room I usually hammer a torx socket into the filler plug. Then hit the surrounding metal with the mapp gas torch. Worked on all but one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros View Post
My mistake may have bee using an 8mm allen wrench... But it's been fine all this time.
There 'ya go. It's a Torx T-32, I think. The allen wrench will work until the monkeys tighten it too tight, then you round it out. Mine was this way just recently when I went to put Redline in. I bought the correct Torx socket and hammered it in. Patience; it'll come out.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I figured it was something else as I could never see it and that worked fine. Well, off to Lowe's.

I like the weld idea and I actually just bought a TIG welder and am in the process of learning... Test #1 isn't going to be a cramped corner like this though.

Much appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

It's not a TORX 32... I put a TORX 50 in there and it wouldn't even touch... That is all they had at Lowes.

I'm going to order another filler plug then go from there. I'll probably bring it somewhere. AHHH!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros View Post
It's not a TORX 32... I put a TORX 50 in there and it wouldn't even touch... That is all they had at Lowes.
Damn, I'm an idjit. I just went and double checked. I don't know WTF I was thinking when I typed T32. It's a T55. Sorry man. Mea culpa.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

T55 torx. They have them at Sears under the isle [sic] brand in a three pack.

Order a normal internal or external 1/2in square plug to replace it.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
seriousactualist
Paul Martin
1995 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
T55 torx. They have them at Sears under the isle [sic] brand in a three pack.
Lisle. Some good stuff from Iowa.

Sure hope the plug comes out without much further fussing!
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:34 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

It's cool... I went and got a Torx55 yesterday but didn't have a chance to mess with it but later this afternoon hopefully it comes out.

The other thing I need to do is order me a new transmission filler plug. I will probably just go the usual AB or RoversNorth route... Unless someone has a better idea.

Thank you brothers for your responses.

nasd90

Old February 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Something to consider, the filler is 3/4 NPT plug, you can go to the hardware store and buy a hex head plug in brass. There are a coupe benefits, first the monkeys at the lube store will understand it, it's cheap and it doesn't require a special tool to remove it

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, it came out rather nicely with a TORX55, though I will need a new plug regardless.

It's not a 3/4 plug... wayyyy too big. Luckily when I pulled the plug there was plenty of transmission fluid in it, enough to get all over my arm. So, I am probably just going to order one from my original sources.

Thanks again fella's...

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Don't forget the "NPT" part.

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I see... I showed the guy at ACE Hardware but he was a monkey and gave me something else I imagine.

I read on another board that it's a 32mm torx plug. I'm confused.

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

It could be bigger and could be British straight pipe thread, but for what it's worth an NPT plug will fit, it's best if it's brass.

Old February 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

It's actually much smaller than 3/4... I don't think it was just the threads that were off. the whole plug that is on my truck right now is smaller than 3/4. I'm guessing NPT is the thread size correct? I never had to mess with this so I have no idea.

Thanks for the attention bro.

EDIT: I just looked up NPT... I get it. I'll have to go searching tomorrow I guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission, trip