Stripped transfer case drain bolt - ideas to remove/fix? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2015, 04:11 PM
mmdcomm
Matt
1985 Ex MoD 110

Registry
Stripped transfer case drain bolt - ideas to remove/fix?

Hi all - I stripped the drain bolt on my transfer case while trying to remove it. It rotates either direction now but isn't coming out.

I'm here with Loic, who graciously offered to help me, and we've removed the plate from the transfer case with the thought that would give us the ability to press down on the drain bolt and get it out that way, but the gears make that a nonstarter - they're in the way.

Any ideas on how to proceed? The case looks good (and of course) the oil looked good too before we removed the plate).

I'm thinking I play it safe, put the plate back on, refill the oil and skip MAR (sadly) and fix the bolt in the near future. When there isn't a hurricane coming through town, for example.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2015, 04:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That sux. I would consider clamping the bolt with vise grips, then drilling a hole in center of bolt head and drilling the bolt out by increasing in size. you could also just thread that hole to the size of an slide hammer, then pull it straight out that way.

once out, thread the hole to then next larger size and put a new larger bolt in to seal it.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:28 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would spin it until there are no threads left, then try pulling it out with vice grips. The other option would be to wedge a prying tool between the bolt and the case, and try to loosen it while you pry on it.
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2015, 04:33 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

can you fit a screw driver behind the face from the outside? pry up HARD while turning
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

or just grind the head off and pound it into the case so it pops through. then put in an oversized plug from autozone
Old October 1st, 2015, 07:35 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Remove and helicoil to repair threads.
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:18 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
Remove and helicoil to repair threads.
Removing it is his first problem.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:01 PM
mmdcomm
Matt
1985 Ex MoD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
That sux. I would consider clamping the bolt with vise grips, then drilling a hole in center of bolt head and drilling the bolt out by increasing in size. you could also just thread that hole to the size of an slide hammer, then pull it straight out that way.

once out, thread the hole to then next larger size and put a new larger bolt in to seal it.
It does suck, and it's made more frustrating by having only myself to blame. Damn you, inflated sense of self-reliance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
can you fit a screw driver behind the face from the outside? pry up HARD while turning
We tried to get a screwdriver under the nut / washer from the outside, and pulling while turning the nut, but no luck. And there was no way at all to get any pressure from the inside once we had the plate off because one of the gears is literally right above where the bolt sits in the case - could barely get the screwdriver in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I would spin it until there are no threads left, then try pulling it out with vice grips.
I think this is where I am now, that there are no threads left. We thought about cutting the head off, but I think I will try vise grips first. I don't want to leave anything in, which cutting or grinding would do. If vise grips don't work, cutting/grinding/drilling is up next I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Removing it is his first problem.
I'm a total noob so if you have time to elaborate, I'd really appreciate it. I think the issues (generally) are (1) get the stripped bolt out, and (2) get a new, working bolt in. I know the devil is in the details but is this the right track? I definitely accept that this is not an immediate-fix process...

I was pleased to see that the gears, plate and oil looked good anyway. I think Loic and I removed the original paper gasket today too. It was all pretty cool to see, though I would've preferred seeing it on a youtube instructional video instead. Live and learn.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions