Strangest engine fault ever - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Exclamation Strangest engine fault ever

Went to work fine this AM. Dropped off the little one at school then went to a Dr. appt. Leaving the Dr. appt, I get in, the engine struggles at idle, I try to drive off and it dies. Start it again, rough idle then dies. Keeps doing that. I have a diesel, so troubleshooting get's much simpler. Fuel or air, that simple. In diagnosis, rough struggling idle, dies under acceleration. Ok, classic fuel starvation. Recently replaced filters (primary and Racor prefilter). Either lift pump has died (please God, not now), or got some really bad fuel that clogged one of the filters. Seriously doubt that as I have been somewhat good about filter draining, and I doubt evern terrible gas is going to plug the Racor in that short of time.

So I open the bonnet, and pull out the small air bleed screw in the top of the stock filter mount. it's bone dry...that is strange. even with a plugged filter, on first power loss, there should at least be something in there, right? So I decide, somehow, the primary filter must be completely plugged. I go to Napa, and buy a replacement, and throw that on. After priming the Racor, and priming the primary, I still get nothing in the outflow chamber on the primary filter. WTF? I loosen the inflow line and diesel comes spraying out (that Racor pump really works well). clearly not a flow from the Racor issue. I end up pulling all lines off of the filter mount, and remove the filter, as it is clear that fuel cannot flow between the inflow and outflow of the mount. Even trying to blow air from inlet to outlet gets nothing, completely blocked. WTFx2?

Having determined that there is a total blockage in the priming pump of the primary fuel mount, I decide that only option is to bypass, using Racor now as primary, by moving the outlet line to the opposing side inlet line.

Engine starts right up, no problem. The Racor website lists the Racor as fine enough to be a primary, so I'll run on that as a single filter and order a replacement mount. But seriously, who has ever heard of the fuel filter mount failing and causing total blockage?

To make matters worse, I have to drive 2 hours after lunch to report for 3 weeks of duty with the national guard. bad day to be set back.

There is a morale to this story, having 2 filters has it's merits for field fix solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
That is odd. My racor unit sits in a box in Matt's shop where it has been for oh, two years. Maybe I need to carry it as a spare...
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
is there possibly a one way/anti siphon valve in the filter mount base that got stuck ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Those primary filter housing M&D uses in their kit with the hand pump built in is most likely the problem. I have never liked them. Get a Land Rover replacement housing without priming pump. That is why I put on the Racores.

You can run it like that for a while, until you can replace the restricted housing . You have the 10 micron filter on now for the Raycore.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Thanks pendy. I was wanting to get your opinion on what to replace it with. Do you have the rover part number so I can source and order while I am away?
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I'll dig around for a used one. Don't you have a parts CD to look at?

Old May 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Mark - Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad you made me aware of it. I'm still running that filter mount that came in the M&D kit so it's probably the same as yours. I looked up the 300 Tdi filter mount, and it's PN NTC1518. It's only shown as a complete assy with the filter, and it doesn't have the priming pump.
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

why not ditch the thing and just run the Racor?

...not you Dave, there is no place left to put one on your truck other than perhaps the passenger seat (my filter travels there sometimes)

Follow-up Post:

what I meant by "ditch it" was to run a Racor final filter...120A I think. In addition to the Racor primary.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
Mark - Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad you made me aware of it. I'm still running that filter mount that came in the M&D kit so it's probably the same as yours. I looked up the 300 Tdi filter mount, and it's PN NTC1518. It's only shown as a complete assy with the filter, and it doesn't have the priming pump.
Back from my 3 weeks of Missipppi fun. Thanks for the info. Does this part (NTC1518) use the same replaceable filter? Original 300tdi type?
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes same filter. Did not have any luck finding an extra used. But Ebay UK had some sell while you were away.

JP

Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Mark - I got that part number right out of the 90/110 300 Tdi parts catalog. So as Pendy said, it should use the same filter. I'm going to order one as well so I have a spare just in case. I looked at putting one of my spare Racors in there, but they're a little bigger and the fittings don't work out as well.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
thanks guys. good info!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine