Strange Ticking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Glenn Wada
97 D-90 #1257
Strange Ticking

So it happened again this AM. As I was driving, I started to hear a strange ticking that sounded just like a turn signal or emergency flasher ticking. But neither set of lights were in use.

I had just turned off my intermittent wipers. Could this be the culprit? This is the second time it's happened in two months. Cured if I turn off the ignition and restart the truck.

Anyone have similar issues / help diagnose?

Old March 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue
Mine has done that. It just goes away on its own. It is a stuck relay or something.

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

97 D90 SW
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST
I did a search and found this after I had the same thing a few weeks back. there are several threads about this.
also thanks for the belts they are in great condition, so much better than mine were.

If it is coming from the dashboard area it could be the following.....has something to do with the anti-theft device.

Clicking in 10AS Control Unit

DEFENDER (LD) VA992105 to VA999484

VA100300 to VA126471

An intermittent clicking noise may be heard coming from the dashboard on some '97 model year Defenders. The clicking noise sounds very similar to a turn signal flasher in frequency and loudness. Once the clicking noise begins, it will continue until the ignition switch is cycled off and then on again. The source of the clicking noise is a relay within the immobilization control unit (10AS unit). A revised unit is now available to address this symptom.

To address a customer complaint matching the above description, verify that the source of the clicking noise is the alarm ECU and replace the unit with the latest type.

AMR6430A Immobilization Unit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions