Strange Sound - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Strange Sound

So on the front driver's side (US Side) I have had an annoying sort of chiming sound when I drive over any rough road. I would compare it to a loose key dangling on a key chain hitting another key (a bit out there I know). Anyway, I can reproduce it a little when I jostle the car by hand (even when the engine is not running). My guess is that it might be time for some new shocks but I just wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything similar. I know it is a bit vague but I just wanted to see.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I know what it is--you are not going to believe it at first since it does not sound like this is it, but I would bet on it. It is the hood hinge at the black plastic thing. What I did to correct it is take a piece of wood and a mallet and smack the hinge to close the gap (the part that is attached to the bulkhead that looks like an open loop). Problem solved.

I opened up my dash looking for it before I figured it out. Took me about a month.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

So the black plastic thing would be the half moon piece that sits between the metal hinges correct? Or is this something else?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Did not seem to do the trick...any other ideas? Sounds like it is lower down closer to the wheel.
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

I finally had 10 minutes of free time to poke around a little and it looks like it is the bearing on the shock. It has been time to replace them for way too long so now I have a good excuse to get started.
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Try a little oil [light] on the bushing for the shock.
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

I finally replaced the shocks a few hours ago with my British co-hort and this killed a few birds.

First, I got rid of the sound of the washers clinking together since the bung was looking like chewing gum...pretty much gone. The front shocks looked like they had been leaking which broke down the rubber and made the sound.

Second, I was among the many here who had the death wobble around 50 MPH. I had an assumption that the lack of shock bushing might have had something to do with it. Sure enough it is straight as an arrow now that the new bungs are in. Plus, with the Blisteins use gas so the hydraulic fluid leak will no longer be a problem.

I must say that the upper cone piece for the front shocks is designed pretty poorly for us folks who don't have shock compressors. The lip sits under the edge of the metal wheel wall making it impossible to get out if you don't compress the spring. But a trusty crow bar did the trick for us.

Quote of the day from the Englishman was "This does not look right...it's English, it might be metric."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions