Strange no start/no spark - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Question Strange no start/no spark

I only say strange because it was running great when I parked in in the garage two weeks ago. (Then again, with Land Rovers, I should know that anything is possible.) Went to start it today and it cranked like mad but did not fire at all.

I pulled the coil lead to the distributor and could only get a spark to jump once, just as I keyed the starter. Just one spark then nothing if I kept cranking it. I also pulled one of the plug wires and tried to see it there was a spark but I got nothing.

I recently had the ignition module (the one on the distributor) replaced because the truck died on me. A reputable Land Rover shop did the work and it was running fine afterward.

Wondering if this could have been a bad part or if for some reason the coil has now failed.

Thoughts or suggestions for what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

CARL
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2009, 03:17 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You could have a short killing the ignition modules.
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

You may be right Ron, I have a suspicion that whatever caused my original problem with the intermittent no-start either was not sorted with the new ignition module, or has caused the new one to fail.

After thinking about it last night, I remembered that I drove it last Monday so it was only a few days before that it ran fine. These intermittent electrical issues are really maddening!

Cheers,

CARL
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Bad alternator would be a decent guess.
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Not sure I understand how the alternator would affect this.

I ran through the tests in the shop manual (as vague as the are) and I think the problem is the coil.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the coil should make an ongoing series of sparks when I am cranking the engine. Right now when I test the lead to ground it only makes one spark when I key the starter, then noting more no matter how much I crank it.

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Alternator regulators short out and kill a bunch of crap on the cars. I doubt it is the coil, but it is possble. Any signs of melting on the coil? Discolorations, bad smell, leaking?
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Its always the littlest things..... somewhat similar thing happened to me on my 83 RR one day coming out of a store... got there fine came out and it cranked and wouldn't turn over. After checking things out under the hood, don't ask me why in hell I got it on the first shot, but I decided to mess with fuse block and pulled the fuse to coil in and out and it turned over the first shot.
Another thing to pay attention to are all your chassis and starter main ground wires.... I did this one afternoon and just spun the nuts off ( origanally a southwestern RR ) so I actually found a few loose nuts, so I retightened all of them, when I cranked my starter it was like I added a second battery!
Or it was pissed you left all alone for 2 weeks!
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

I talked with my mechanic this morning who had replaced the ignition module and he has offered to come by and take a look this week (saving me the towing) to see if it is something simple. He said it might be a bad ignition module since I am seeing one strong spark initially and then nothing more.

If they have to replace the module, I'm thinking it might make sense to relocate it to save having to do this all over again in the future but I'm a bit shocked by the $399 cost from Atlantic British for the kit.

Anybody know of a cheaper alternative for relocating the module if I end-up replacing it?

Cheers,

CARL

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

I know what you mean, some parts are justifiably worth the money as far $$$ verses quality..... however I don't have a part #, but my 83 RR has a GM module ( around $70-80 ) and its on the fender well and it works flawlessy.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

http://www.solihullsociety.org/archives/107#more-107
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Smile Mystery solved

Guys:

Thanks for all the advice and input but we were all wrong on this one. Turns-out the pick-up in the distributor failed.

What I really love is that I get to pay for the same labor (removal of the distributor, etc.) that I paid for less than a month ago when the ignition module failed. I asked if this was common, hinting to my mechanic that he should have suggested I replace this with the ignition module, and he said this was only the second time he's seen one fail. And he has a lot of years as a Land Rover mechanic. Wow, lucky me.

At least it's back in operation for the weekend.

Cheers,

CARL

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Very rare for the pick up to fail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start