Strange loss of power... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Strange loss of power...

I wonder if any of you have experienced this...

I was driving on a freeway last weekend, moderate temperature, car running well, nothing out of the norm...

I was going about 75-80, then I started up this mild, but long, grade...and typically the car looses some speed to about 55, and I have to get on it a bit to even stay there....that's sort of the nature of the beast. I'm sure it's the same for most of you.

This time, as it started to loose speed, I felt a bit of "chugging"...some hesitation...and it got worse rapidly, I was down to 45 fast...this was not normal...I eased off the accelerator, and it still kept sputtering. I pulled off the next exit, and as I payed the toll, I had to put it in neutral and give it gas to even keep it going.

I thought it was something major, internal, maybe a valve or piston...it sounded bad. But temperature was normal, and nothing weird was coming from the tailpipe.

As I rounded the corner looking for the closest gas station so I could take a look, it kept sputtering and hesitating. By the time I made it to the next light (1/4 mile), as I pulled to the red--it was fine. Nothing. All gone.

I drove it the las 10-miles home, and it ran perfectly. The rest of the weekend--nothing. It is exactly as before. I've gone nowhere near that hill, of course, but other than that, no problems.

So, I'm thinking electrical...ignition, maybe? Or fuel pump?

It has good, new high-performance wires...but that's about all I've touched on electrical. I've done nothing with fuel.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Fuel filter, replace that first, how long before that happened did you fill up with gas? You may have had some bad gas. No ECM codes?
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes, this happened to me recently several times with the exact same symptoms. I believe it was bad gas. After running a few tanks through her it hasn't happened aagin.

That or I'm just damn lucky

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I don't have a computer, so no ability to check codes...I've heard possible fuel pump from a buddy with a D-90 as well...I have a fuel filter on-hand, so I'll start with that, I think.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions