strange happenings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM
joeoftherock
Joe Venturella
95 D90

strange happenings

Hey there all,
just got the truck working well last year, bought a new car to keep the miles down and was getting ready to do some serious work when bad things started to happen.
First, bad driver happened and I trashed my Audi, bad news for the truck as it has become my everyday driver. Then I started to have some problems with the truck, stepper motor went out, speedo went out, brakes went out, and the exhaust picked right before state inspection to rot and fall off.

I replaced the upper speedo calbe, fixed.
I replaced the stepper motor, and cleaned everything that I could get off and in at the time, fixed.
I had a custom exhaust made by some nice guys here in the 'burg, fixed.
I replaced the front pads, but not the rotors as they were fine, fixed.

So now, the motor revs at idle, and then settles back in at right around 800-1000, especially when the clutch is engaged. I have seen this problem discussed ad nauseum, but have tried all the solutions that I can find.
I have already replaced the rotor and cap, the spark plug wires (previous problems with wet weather)

And finally, I am rolling along a few days ago, and the traffic light turns yellow, usually I blow through but my girlfriend was in the truck and she hates when I do that, so I stop and the truck stalls. Now the clutch is in, and I am in second gear anyways, but then it does not immdiately restart and i am blocking traffic.

dont have any ideas left, so all help is appreciated.
There are other problems, but they are (probably) unrelated and somewhat easily solved.
The engine is throwing a code (48) and I have tried resetting it on numerous occasions.

Thanks

Joe V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

48 is the stepper motor? Do you think maybe one of the wires to it could be cut? Maybe the plug on it is dirty and not making a good connection?
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
joeoftherock
Joe Venturella
95 D90

wires,

I have looked, but I will check again.
where do these go, for continuity checks, and I want to get to both ends as close as possible.

One other problem that i have had is a DISTINCT loss of power as I attempt to to travel uphill.
It is probably the most annoying, and disruptive so I dont know how I forgot about it.

Thanks

Joe V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think this is right but I'll have to check it tonight

http://www.rangie.com/files/167_386.jpg
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Looking at my manual the pins to the IAC are 1, 26, 28, and 29 on this connector

http://www.rangie.com/files/167_377.jpg

they should go streight through to the IAC from the connector on the ECU.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:30 PM
joeoftherock
Joe Venturella
95 D90

I actually pulled the plug off, and then replaced it.
the code changed from 48 to 02 (which I think is the disconnect error)
and then when i tried the ignition again, the check engine light went off (one small victory)

However, I am still having the problems with the rpms revving when I come to a stop.

The stepper motor seems to be working correctly, as I pulled it out and then manually adjusted the air flow to check the function and the plunger seemed to be acting correctly.

Dont know what else to try, as I cant find a vacuum leak anywhere and the stepper motor seems to be fine.
anyways, little late to do any more work tonight.

thanks

joe v
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Perhaps a dirty fuel filter?
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The code for the stepper motor isn't actually for the stepper motor itself, but for the entire idle speed circuit and could be a few things. If the RPM is revving when you come to a stop, and slowly comes down to a normal idle, than the stepper is working fine. If you disconnected power to the ECU recently, sometimes it takes a while to re-tune things back to normal in that regard and the idle speed jumps a bit higher and takes longer to settle down for a while. Eventually, that will go away as the computer re-programs its memory.

If it comes down, but the final idle speed is a bit too fast, then you need to adjust the idle speed manually at the throttle body (procedure is in the manual, if not I can describe if needed).

The stepper motor is controlled by the ECU using the readings from both the coolant temp sensor (colder engines get higher idles to warm up) as well as the vehicle speed sensor, which kicks the idle up a bit if the truck is moving, but there is little or no throttle .... it does this to prevent stalling when you come to a stop. The VSS really doesn't care how fast you are moving, but just that you are moving without your foot on the skinny pedal.

Check that the VSS is in good shape, and there aren't any bad wires to it. I don't know what the test procedure is for that sensor, if there even is one. I'll check tomorrow when I have access to my manual again.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Joe,
With regard to the lack of power and erratic idle speed, I'd check the vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanisms to make sure both are working and not stuck...and verify the timing is correct.
Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions