Strange gearshift setup...and Hi! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:11 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Strange gearshift setup...and Hi!

Hi everyone...new to the board and excited to join such an awesome community. It has been my dream to own a Defender ever since my family bought a '93 NAS 90 from an LR dealer here in SoCal when they first came out. They ended up trading it in for Disco (it was too "impractical" they said) and I have never ever ever forgiven them!

The good news is that the bug has been with me since then and so there is a 1985 110 currently making its way cross country on top of a car carrier. It should be here this week and the suspense is killing me! It's an EFI I 3.5 V8 conversion with an R380 (also a conversion, which is the basis of my question).

After I test drove it something struck me as a little odd about the gearshift:

This is the seller's pic so I apologize for the bad view of the issue. The gaiter seems to be reversed judging from pictures of other defenders, correct? On top of this, and this fact is hidden by the hand brake, but there isn't anything coming out of the front boot! Instead, the transfer case selector is tucked up [super close] to right the right of the gear shift. Any idea what is going on here and whether or not my "first order of business" is going to be a doozy to fix? I will post some more pics as soon as I get it but was wondering if any of you knew might be going on in the meantime.

Have a great Sunday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Your transmission is installed backwards or the gaiter is on backwards! Do you have 5 reverse speeds?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

It has a discovery r380 transmission installed..the gear lever and transfer lever are reversed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Your transmission is installed backwards or the gaiter is on backwards! Do you have 5 reverse speeds?
Ha! I'm not sure if flipping the boot would fix the problem...as I mentioned there isn't anything coming out of the forward boot. It is almost as if I would need to turn the gaiter 90 degrees to make it work. Oh well, I guess I'll wait until it arrives so I can see what's going on under the gaiter.

------ Follow up post added November 2nd, 2014 03:52 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
It has a discovery r380 transmission installed..the gear lever and transfer lever are reversed..
Hmmm, ok thanks.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

When it arrives shoot me a note and I will stop by and check it out with you.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:41 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

But they used the defender shifter boot..
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Wait...is this a rear engine 110??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:42 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Wait...is this a rear engine 110??

Possibly...you mean a Porschover 9-110?

------ Follow up post added November 2nd, 2014 05:43 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin View Post
When it arrives shoot me a note and I will stop by and check it out with you.
Thanks!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:14 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The seats...the seats. Red flags......

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:46 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

She finally arrived...

So here is a closer look (top of the picture facing front of vehicle).

Any thoughts as to what's going on here? Works just fine but I guess I want to make it look SOMEWHAT presentable?!? Is there a special gaiter that would work here?

Thanks!
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:50 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
http://funrover.com/reviews/exmoor-t...earbox-gaiter/

Just turn it around?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321456196519?_mwBanner=1

Tdci gaitor? Maybe in leather?
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:15 PM
defdad
Philip
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
I don't think that would work....it's almost as if I need to find a side by side gaitor!
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:06 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

As said earlier the R380 they used is a disco gearbox. They rotated the gaiter 180 degrees from where it should be oriented in a defender. The gearshift/transfer case levers are reversed between the two different top housings. You will need to get a R380 Defender top housing and this bit from ashcroft if you want the shifter to be as it should in a defender. That's the easy method.. the hard method still involves sourcing a defender top housing and then you have to strip the gearbox to bits and replace some odds and sods..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
As said earlier the R380 they used is a disco gearbox. They rotated the gaiter 180 degrees from where it should be oriented in a defender. The gearshift/transfer case levers are reversed between the two different top housings. You will need to get a R380 Defender top housing and this bit from ashcroft if you want the shifter to be as it should in a defender. That's the easy method.. the hard method still involves sourcing a defender top housing and then you have to strip the gearbox to bits and replace some odds and sods..
As I re read this thread the very same thought occurred to me. They failed to adapt the D1 drivetrain to a Defender.
What we have here is a failure to do a conversion properly.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Is this truck from East Coast Defender or another outfit?
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:21 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Is this truck from East Coast Defender or another outfit?
Also curious who put her together
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:07 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
this is the last thing i would fix on any truck. it fits, it looks ok, works fine, only a few people care. there are so many other potential problems of far greater consequence on a truck.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
My guess is it is a "strange rover"

Judging by trim and gaitors...
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Looks like some dude guntherrocks1980 was the seller. Holy cow there's a bit of fluff in that ad!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-LHD-110...p2047675.l2557

1985 LHD Defender 110 with 82,910 miles (People's Choice Winner at 2014 British Car Union annual meet in Greater Chicago area)

VIN: SALLDHMV2BA219085

I am the second owner of this beautiful 110. This is the nicest one I have owned to date. Vehicle lived in a climate controlled garage prior to my purchase 1.5 years ago, hence the superior condition and solid platform. There are no cover ups hiding rust on this truck that can be found on other "fresh" builds. Vehicle was not a full tear down and rebuild like other trucks I’ve worked on b/c it’s been kept in pristine condition from Day 1. Truck was not used as most 110’s are intended, but lived a city life in a nice garage.

This vehicle was built to be reliable and clean looking without losing the ability to still take on trails and camping trips. High end seats for luxury and comfort coupled with rubber mats and easy clean interior for fun adventures.

Please note that this is not a sluggish 2.5 liter diesel that can barely hit 65 going downhill and a nightmare to merge into traffic. This is a smooth running EFI V8 that can easily cruise down the interstate at high speed passing at will. Don’t buy a truck with a newer diesel TDI or TD5. Even though someone might have sneaked in the parts and rebuilt the trucks with these motors, they are not legal to own/drive in the US. This is an original LHD 110 that has not been butchered or torn apart to lipstick build a truck. This truck is worry free and has a clean Illinois title.

Only serious bidders. A non-refundable $2,000 deposit required at end of auction with full funds transferred into my account within 48hrs of auction closing. Don't bid if you do not have cash in hand and ready to go.

Item Specifics:

3.5L V8 Gas Motor (upgraded to Electronic Fuel Injection)

5 speed transmission (Upgraded to a smooth R380 trans)

Suspension has mild lift for better stance and clearance

Braden winch on beefy front bumper with steering protection down below

New Interior (Front Row, Second Row, Cubby Box, etc)

New mats Front and Second Row

In-dash DVD/Nav receiver (Tied to rear camera as well)

Speakers at front seats, behind rear seats, and sub in back

Rear cargo cage

Recent Tune-up and Prep:

New Power Steering Gear Box

New Spark Plugs and belts

New Battery

New Alternator

Re-sealed Transmission and Transfer Case

New Exhaust gaskets

http://www.autobia.com/car-detail/de...439045507.html
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Look like it wasn't gunther's first rodeo either

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Description:
1987 Defender 110 (registered, titled, and insured in Illinois) 2.5L Diesel with LT77 5 speed transmission Legal This vehicle was legally imported last year. All numbers matching, so no issues when it went through customs. Solid, clear documentation so no issues now or in future. I specifically state that the vehicle is currently registered, titled, and insured b/c there are many Defenders for sale that do not meet this criteria and cause headaches, costs, etc for buyers. Restoration This vehicle was a full tear down and rebuild less than 7500 miles ago. I'll let the pictures tell the story. Not a "paint over" job to hide rust or overly waxed frame to hide age. Vehicle was fully stripped and redone. This includes the drivetrain as well. Interior This 110 was made to accommodate larger people. The parking brake was moved to the passenger side to give more leg room and width. The seats are larger and more comfortable than standard Defender seats or aftermarket replacements like Exmoor Trim. The seat boxes are unique for the front and rear also for storage and keeping big people in mind. All trim in the interior is new and geared to outdoor adventures. The rear benches in the back were removed. Custom storage was created and the battery box is in the rear as well. Exterior Truck is orange with new checker plating. There's a full roof rack with the truck as well. I currently have it off to fit the truck in my garage, but will put on when sold. Offroad lights, snorkle, bumper, winch, etc etc Winch has aux cable hookup on passenger side as seen in older competition style setups.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions